How many miles before you had a issue?

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always maintained my sleds. The only thing I didnt do was change the fuel filter at 1000miles and now the dealer is saying that it was plugged and caused the skirt to break and take out the bottom end.

Was that the first time you changed the fuel filter.....at 2200 miles? I have just under 1400 on my pro and it showed no signs of a plugged filter, ie. hesitation, hard starting, poor idle. I dont believe this is what caused the skirt to break.

Always warm up before take off cold or hot, never start and pin the throttle until temp stabilize. Did regular compression checks and looked at tops of piston and at the cyl with fibre scope. New belt this year just because and regular greasing of suspension and check track tension every few rides. Only use 94 non ethanol fuel from the same station every ride and always premix with 1/2 oil per gallon and turned up the oil pump at the start of the year. Started to use almost 1/2 litre of oil per tank of fuel more after I did that.

I am a mechanic by trade with 2 different tickets, and over service all my toys . This went for no apparant reason. Pulled strong and never missed a beat from day ! until it blew up.

Polaris is putting a complete new motor in as this one is destroyed. Seriously thinking about the new 2014 cat.........never have owned anything but polaris for the past 18 years but after 2 motors in 3 years in my last 2 (bought brand new) sleds I need to know I can get back out of the mountains. Really hate saying that but maybe time for a change.

Yes, first fuel filter @ 2200 miles, but would never leave it that long again. I didn't replace it with a polaris unit....I pieced together my own filter assembly with a 10 micron serviceable stainless filter basket in it...as Polaris wants too much for their stock piece of crap:) I have always and will only run shell gold 91 octane...I have never researched it, but I have always been warned of the additives in the 94 octane. Is it chevron fuel? I also recently switched over to Legend ZX-2SR oil upon recommendation from Kelsey at RK Tek. I ran Amsoil Interceptor before that.

Last edited:

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is chevron. cant believe the price for the polaris fuel filters. I have run amsoil in all my sleds, and race cars. My race mtors looked like new when ever I would tear them own for freshening and I have never had an oil related problem i any of my sleds. Good oil. The dealer here never had anything bad to say about the chevron 94, not sure what additives are in their fuel but may be worth going to the shell 91.

Jesse_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what its worth i could ran 1psi more with cheveron 94 vs shell 91. Lol

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering but don't they add ethanol to fuel to get it up to 94 octane? Here in Alberta the Shell premium is the only fuel I've seen that is labeled as ethanol free.

Jesse_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering but don't they add ethanol to fuel to get it up to 94 octane? Here in Alberta the Shell premium is the only fuel I've seen that is labeled as ethanol free.
No. Thats like saying race fuel or aviation gas has lots of ethanol to get them to their high octane rating.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about Chevron 94, but most Hughes Petroleum stations in Alberta offer ethanol free 91 fuel. That's what goes in all of our sleds, no issues thus far.

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No the chevron 94 fuel has no ethanol its marked on the pump. I dont think alberta has any chevron stations do they?

I never had any issues at all until it blew up. It never missed a beat anywhere since day 1. no hesitations, no hard start ,no stalling when going into reverse like some guys have said is a good indicator, nothing, always ran good and strong.

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if I do decide to try the 2014 cat I will have some parts and pieces to sell! Carls cycle clutch setup, HPS can, cover, 2 sets of alternative impactive upper A arms, mid height windshield, 19/42 gears!

Zien19

Reaction score
Not so stoked just got my 11 back from a top end rebuild and seized again with 3/4 of a tank through her. Stock in poo has gone Down. See what the dealer has to say tomorrow. Pretty expensive 2 hrs of fun.

starfire72

Reaction score
No. Thats like saying race fuel or aviation gas has lots of ethanol to get them to their high octane rating.

you might want to check in on that..... any 94 octane i found had ethanol. only ones i found that didnt have ethanol in there premium was esso and shell.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chevron 94 has no ethanol, however we have no Chevron in Alberta, husky 94 has ethanol as well as most other gas stations in Alberta selling 94 octane fuel. The petro canada in Hinton sells 94 octane with no ethanol as well, never tried it as I always run shell 91, but just might have to one of these days

you might want to check in on that..... any 94 octane i found had ethanol. only ones i found that didnt have ethanol in there premium was esso and shell.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like the other fuel sellers are starting to advertise their premium fuel as ethanol free. Filled up the truck at the No Frills (Supestore) in Fort Sask. yesterday and the pumps were labeled ( regular 10% ethanol, mid grade 5%, premium ethanol free) nice to know that Shell is not the only option any more. Oh yah no issues with my 2011 RMK!

Last edited:

Jesse_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a stock sled 91 vs 94 will make no difference. Higher compressions and turbos it will.

Top Bottom