How long till Yamaha sinks or swims in the sled market?

Mudvayne

Reaction score
Website
www.rickheddle.com
Think about this Yamaha revolutionized 4 stroke dirt bikes in 1998 with a yz400 I was laughed at for using it in competition because it was waaay to heavy within years there all 4 strokes some have even stopped making 2 strokes! The sleds will be the same with reliability and milage its a given it will just take time but they will get well deserved credit. :thumbup:

Sent from my Xoom

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest issues with a 4 stroke sled and always will be is mechanical reverse and electric start. It automatically no matter what makes the sled heavier than a similar powered 2 stroke. Even if they make the lightest chassis a 2 stroke motor in it will be lighter. No matter if they make the motor feather light and close to a 800cc or 1000cc 2 stoke weight the reverse and e start will add extra lbs. now if they could take a Pro chassis with a super light weight small displacement turbo 4 stoke would be more of a 450f vs 250 comparison. Just for an example the phazer was 2 250f modified motors put together. If they did two 450f motors together as a 900 with a turbo, a compression release valve and pull start and a super light chassis putting out 150-160 hp that would be the tits and its not that out of reach. Also how about a belt drive with belt drive reverse? Do able

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe in the racing circuit..

Think about this Yamaha revolutionized 4 stroke dirt bikes in 1998 with a yz400 I was laughed at for using it in competition because it was waaay to heavy within years there all 4 strokes some have even stopped making 2 strokes! The sleds will be the same with reliability and milage its a given it will just take time but they will get well deserved credit. :thumbup:

Sent from my Xoom

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
just to chime in for another post………..

IMHO, Yamaha will quit making sleds period. As it is such a small part of their business it will not effect the bottom line. The rest of that major enterprise will doo just fine thank-you very much.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just to chime in for another post………..

IMHO, Yamaha will quit making sleds period. As it is such a small part of their business it will not effect the bottom line. The rest of that major enterprise will doo just fine thank-you very much.
Doubt it. Even a small division making profits is still profitable. RS is sledding today...doesn't appear that he's concerned about being jobless any time soon....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Doubt it. Even a small division making profits is still profitable. RS is sledding today...doesn't appear that he's concerned about being jobless any time soon....

In a green city like Fernie, with a lot of Yamaha sales, sales have dropped drastically. It will be interesting to follow the tracks and see what eventually happens.

RS will always find something he enjoys and doo a great job of whatever he does.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told sometime ago that Yamaha dealers are having meetings in Minneapolis in Q1 2013.. So for the ones hoping and wishing it may be something great for the Yamaha sled world or AC!! ??...

geo

Reaction score
If Honda built sleds and Toyota built full size trucks I'd be in heaven.
Back to reality.

Fourstrokes are heavy unless they come with no warranty and need a expensive top-end job at 50hrs. How much to freshen up two 450's (still only 120 ponies).

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ohh.. So people are rebuilding 4 stroke sleds every 50 hrs.. Good to know.. :doh:

Back to reality.

Fourstrokes are heavy unless they come with no warranty and need a expensive top-end job at 50hrs. How much to freshen up two 450's (still only 120 ponies).

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back to reality.

50 hrs? LMAO! You been drinking with LHF? Try a couple more zeros behind that number. Even boosted. They are still heavy whether they come with a warranty and top end job, once boosted they feel a lot lighter though. You will wear out the rest of the sled long before you wear out the motor on a 4 banger.

Top Bottom