How long till Yamaha sinks or swims in the sled market?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With a lineup in desperate need of an update when do you think Yamaha will get the funds together to release a new, purpose built and competitive mountain sled? The nytro has been the same sled since 08' only with minor upgrades. Maybe Yamaha doesn't want to be player out west and are happy with the eastern short track market?

Thoughts?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yammi is a billion dollar company with its own Rd from things like MOTO GP dirt bikes pianos!!I don't think they are going away any time soon!!!They are much more likely to be around in 50 yrs than cat or Polaris.My 2 cents

Yes but when you keep producing the same product that is behind the competition year after year, no one is going to buy it. The only thing I can see that Yamaha has over the cat, Polaris and doo is that their quality and reliability is too notch.

chemmod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my 09 nytro, but I've dropped a lot of $$$$ into it to make it a decent mountian sled and it still not turbo'd. I bought a new Pro RMK this year, not about to buy a new downgraded nytro, that couldn't compete with my 09, when a new Pro is out of the box ready to ride.

I'm a Yamaha fan but consumor based business is business, you need a quailty competitive product at a competitive price, right now Yamaha has a quailty product that requires $3500-5000 aftermarket upgrades to make it a rideable mountian sled. I think they will release a sled in the next couple of years that will be more suiting to our segement but they sure do take their time. When they do make the sled I hope they do I will be back on a 4-stroke Yamaha...

The Dream: 475lbs 200 4-Stroke natural or turbo'd hp Nytro based platform with skinz boards, Z-broz front end, more forward bars, bar controls on the body, 2.5 challenger track, a tunnel you can fit something on. And you could charge $16-17K and I would buy it. The nytro does a decent job hiding it's weight, but the motor weight needs to be more centralized over the drivers so the front end lightens up and the sled pivots it weight.

Can you imagine the Yamaha dealers and their frustration with Yamaha Corp.? Building a factory sled can be done for a fraction of aftermarket builds.

All this being said and I can't part with my ol Nytro and give the new Poo total dedication, it does have some amazing attributes...

Cheers

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes but when you keep producing the same product that is behind the competition year after year, no one is going to buy it. The only thing I can see that Yamaha has over the cat, Polaris and doo is that their quality and reliability is too notch.
I didnt say there sleds are any good!!!Just that the company is more than capable!!

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guys that put down a nytro cause they rode it once in the mountains for 10 min don't really know you gotta put some time on it. It's got a weird steering and some other things but I've rode with all the other new sleds on my nytro and were all doing the same stuff in the same area. If you have rode a nytro and had some time on it and still don't like it that's cool but there's people out there that do and just cause the doo, poo, and cat guys don't like it doesn't mean that yamaha is lacking its a capable, competitive, sled you just gotta ride it. jmo

Last edited:

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha will always be around with moto gp, and music, I am sure that they make well enough from those two components alone to cover poor sales and R&D on the nytro. I would like to try a good turbo nytro with the mods people say make it a good ride though.
Yamaha is already sunk !! just look around the mountains lol i refuse to get a yamaha unstuck with the exhaust sticking out the back, if i want to huff gas fumes i will just stick my nose in the gas can :)

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They always sink. They dont call them snow submarines for nothing!

Sent while not working too hard

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weight will always be the issue for me when it's stuck.
I don't understand why Yamaha has not developed a factory turbo nytro. Even if it produced 180 hp, it would be a nice jump from their current 135.
Does it have to be a 1000cc engine? In the 80's they came out with a 650 turbo Seca. It only had 90 hp but with the advancements since that time, you would think they could do much better today and achieve some significant weight loss.
I doubt Yamaha will get out of sleds.

Loudpipe

Reaction score
I've always had dreams of a propane turbo apex.....you couldn't give me a nytro or phazer.....too Damn ugly. Another thing I've always wondered, why did they go completely away from 2 strokes? That sx viper was a MEAN sled, imagine what they could have done with that platform

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the states when you buy a nytro 2012 or newer you have a option for a turbo or supercharger for 1500$ but its only in the states so far

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha is already sunk !! just look around the mountains lol i refuse to get a yamaha unstuck with the exhaust sticking out the back, if i want to huff gas fumes i will just stick my nose in the gas can :)
They don't stink nearly as bad as a 2 stroke

Top Bottom