How long does a helmet last?

julliopat

Reaction score
I have a nice HJC dirt bike helmet with paint brush here, made in 1995,,,,I think I'm ready for a new one :d How long are they good for?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I keep them about 3 - 4 years max, by then with a few hits and drops i figure there not as strong. This is an important piece of equipment and it needs to be in tip top shape. No room for errors.

Helmet Replacement
Ultimately, the useful service life of a safety helmet is dependent on the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended even if only one of the under-mentioned points applies:

The helmet was subjected to an impact.
The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use or display signs of deterioration.
The synthetic foam padding displays signs of heavy use and the helmet feels too loose. Test: with the retention system fastened, the helmet turns to the side when you gently shake your head.
There are indentations in the EPS liner and/or white scratches can be seen on surfaces with black paint.
Even if none of these is applied, we, SHOEI, recommend replacement in 5 years after it's first purchased at retail.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll bet it's somewhat crusty after 15 years....treat yourself to a new one

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DOT recomends replacing your helmet once every five years.

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3-4 years max, by then the foam is compromised and it is nothing more than lipstick for your ears. No differant than Hockey helmets.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally a few good bangs and it goes. My mellon goes in there when i pull it out i want it in one peice.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May need 2 helmets.
One in the morning when your head is swollen and one in the afternoon..:d

It all depends on the :beer::beer::beer:

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my guess the afternoon one should be an open face or at the very least a modular with the quick flip open feature:):):)

Top Bottom