how in the H*ll do you change slides?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried removing my slids of my 08 rmk. IT TOOK ME AN HOUR TO TAKE ONE OFF. i took the bolt out and started at the front with a chisel and tapped threw the tracks holes and then from the side and finally i took a hammer and buried the claw into the front and smoked it with another hammer all the way down and it took forever and i almost destroyed the slide........

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats what im doing but i have to use so much force to slide them down the rail, i thought this would take 30 minute max. I smashed the end of the chisel to nothing with a 18" framing hammer and the slide barley moves.

ratpak

Reaction score
Do this for each one (side) seperately:

Tap the slide out through the track window about 6 inchs.
Fire up the sled, put it in reverse and blip the trottle.
The slider will peel off like a banana. And no, it doesn't damage anything.
I done this many times and haven't had a problem yet.

Granted, I was nervous the first time I heard about it and did the first one very slowly. But once you do it, you'll thinks it's the greatest idea ever.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
use silicone lubricant for removal and installation

you may want to use a heat gun as well.

MANSON

Reaction score
Lubricant works wonders and the reverse trick is golden.Just make sure the slide does not bind up in your track:beer::beer:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do this for each one (side) seperately:

Tap the slide out through the track window about 6 inchs.
Fire up the sled, put it in reverse and blip the trottle.
The slider will peel off like a banana. And no, it doesn't damage anything.
I done this many times and haven't had a problem yet.

Granted, I was nervous the first time I heard about it and did the first one very slowly. But once you do it, you'll thinks it's the greatest idea ever.

cool idea.......but where does the slide go???? it cant go threw a window if the tracks spinning

never mind i get it now....the track pulls it out and it will be between your track and tunnel....nice

What about wd 40??? im sure this will work..........and another thing is no heated shop and the slide had a bunch of ice between it and the rail....i got a heater on it right now and ill try wd and possibly the reverse system

ratpak

Reaction score
The track clip slides between the slider (plastic) and the slide rail (metal) and the slider just drops to the floor. That's why you only blip the throttle or run the track slow in reverse when you do it. And only do one side at a time.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a slide hammer, once it's out the window, screw in to it and star hammering and will be out in 2-min.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
k now kind of related but my track makes a clicking noise when driving? i tightend my track and i thought it might be my slides being very low and the clips are hitting the aluminum but nope this isnt the case......the rail tips are loose though and the bolt is very small....i think im going to drill it out and put a larger bolt threw.

here is some pics of the carnage, had to use a large Philips screw driver because the chisel would cut right threw. and that end of the screw driver use to be rounded

Attachments

• DSCF0628.jpg
    DSCF0628.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF0629.jpg
    DSCF0629.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0630.jpg
    DSCF0630.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF0632.jpg
    DSCF0632.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 44

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Wow guess I do it the hard way I pull the skid it's only 6 bolts 10 min it's out then I can inspect the whole thing.

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track clicking might be the clips hitting your sliders? Did you angle your sliders at the end , shave at a 45 degree angle?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track clicking might be the clips hitting your sliders? Did you angle your sliders at the end , shave at a 45 degree angle?

well i noticed the clicking after laying down my front track shock.......havent changed the slides but yes the factoy ones were 45ed and a inch from the back of the rail for expansion....

im putting my front shock back......changing the slides adjusting my track and if that doesnt fix it then i dont know but its like your hitting plastic to plastic and clicks a bout twice a second

Polaris_Fanatic

Reaction score
i just pull out the skid and inspect it all, its not hard and i havent had any troubles changing slides that way

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i noticed the clicking after laying down my front track shock.......havent changed the slides but yes the factoy ones were 45ed and a inch from the back of the rail for expansion....

im putting my front shock back......changing the slides adjusting my track and if that doesnt fix it then i dont know but its like your hitting plastic to plastic and clicks a bout twice a second

Have you got extrovert drivers on? may be clicking against the rail tips.

Top Bottom