How good are the M7's

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another sled I've been looking at is the '06 162" M7. I've been told they will climb with any 800 or 900 stock to stock. Any I've seen climb seem to get up there pretty good, but I've never actually ridden with one in our group to compare head to head with our "improved" 800's.

trailblazer

Reaction score
I don't know about any of that,but a buddy of mine bought one from Echo and nuttin' but grief.Had it out once and it does nuttin' but bog.Took it back and same,same!?.In the mean time and between repairs he test rode it and he went over a small drift to get into a field and the crossmember between the runners busted and a runner bent all to hell and one side went through the track and ripped a 8'' tear in the track.Wouldn't buy one and couldn't be given one.I got a Yammie,4 stroke is the way ta' go.Engine life alone,a little heavy but that can be fixed.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a stock M7. Everyone that I know that owns one started modding after their first trip to the mountains. Easy to throw around but can't climb with the 800's(just from what I've seen).

tskool

Reaction score
I have an 06 M7 153. I have never had a single problem with mine.
About climbing it will take me as far up as I need to go.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have a 06 M7 153, very light and ill go up against an 800 and if i cant beat 'em it just means their a better rider not because it wont take me there, but i find myself more cautious as hoods etc. are expensive. I think with an M7, it is best suited with a smaller man aswell (like me, im a skinny bugger) I too had bog issues, first problem was my clutch was out of whack right from brand new (belt deflection), it seems to be a common theme (I think we need to call the oldtimers back to teach these new mechanics) Second problem was clutch weights, M7s are clutched for 6000-9000ft elevation, when i was at Revy last weekend i had bog issues down low not up high, they do seem to be very sensitive to elevation.

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think with an M7, it is best suited with a smaller man aswell (like me, im a skinny bugger)

This was one thing I wondered about. At 6', 215lbs I'm likely not in the "small, skinny bugger" class.:rolleyes: :D

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
M7's

I Considered The M7 With The 162", But My Size(6'2" @ 230lbs) Tilted Me Into The 1000rt Summit(even Over The 800xrs):) . I Also Considered The Apex And Either Nos Or Turbo It. When Standing On The Sleds And Tilting Them, I Felt The M7 Was A Little On The "small" Side. I Liked The M7, And Don't Think There Was Anything Wrong With Them, Except The Common "bogging" Problem That I Hear About Everywhere(even On Snowwest). I Like The Diamond Drive, The Light Feel, The "big" Track(shoulda Been A 16" Wide Though), And Lots Of Mods Availability.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Considered The M7 With The 162", But My Size(6'2" @ 230lbs) Tilted Me Into The 1000rt Summit(even Over The 800xrs):) . I Also Considered The Apex And Either Nos Or Turbo It. When Standing On The Sleds And Tilting Them, I Felt The M7 Was A Little On The "small" Side. I Liked The M7, And Don't Think There Was Anything Wrong With Them, Except The Common "bogging" Problem That I Hear About Everywhere(even On Snowwest). I Like The Diamond Drive, The Light Feel, The "big" Track(shoulda Been A 16" Wide Though), And Lots Of Mods Availability.

Do u know or what did snow west say about the bogging issue? I cant seem to find an answer either than the ones i gave. One time i heard that M7s couldnt run without the hood (it would fry the computer) which is ridiculous, that would be an amature design flaw, i deemed that to be incorrect. This bogging issue is getting to me as ive done my investigating and no one can give me a solid answer, You would think it would of been figured out by now.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey Linkz

Do u know or what did snow west say about the bogging issue? I cant seem to find an answer either than the ones i gave. One time i heard that M7s couldnt run without the hood (it would fry the computer) which is ridiculous, that would be an amature design flaw, i deemed that to be incorrect. This bogging issue is getting to me as ive done my investigating and no one can give me a solid answer, You would think it would of been figured out by now.

Did you ever check into the remapping of the fuel system. I thought I read somewhere that Kat had a remapping burn for the computer to eliminate bogging issues?? Could be wrong, but, I'm sure I read that somewhere. Did you ever try the factory exhaust again??

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Go on snowest, tons of threads on the bogging issue. As far as taking the hood off, I think I read somewhere that you should run a resistor or something just to ensure you are using the power generated for the lights/panel. Snowest has lots of info on any technical questions for mountain sleds, I would definetely check it out.
Josh

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you ever check into the remapping of the fuel system. I thought I read somewhere that Kat had a remapping burn for the computer to eliminate bogging issues?? Could be wrong, but, I'm sure I read that somewhere. Did you ever try the factory exhaust again??

No i didnt check out re-mapping the fuel system, i will look into that. No i havent put the stock exhaust back on cause i wanted to see if it bogged in Revy when i went. It bogged a little at lower altitude and rarely at the top which makes me believe this might be a clutch problem or the altitude sensor.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with a guy on a M7 with nos and boondooker control box last winter at Quest (sicamous)...No bogging there let me tell you, my 670x is still ashamed of itself!!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the bogging is related to poor clutching and can be worked out if you know a little something about clutch tuning.

If you run an aftermarket can there was the odd machine (estimates are 1 in 7) that would develop a bog. Easy fix!

Cat does have an updated remap for some sleds. You would have to check into that. Some of the magazines reported which sleds changed so look around.

geordiep

Reaction score
I have an '06 M7 153 and I'm 6'2 - 240lbs. I rode it last year completely stock with no issues. I found if I ran 91 octane (premium) it would bog at low RPM. Run regular (89 octane) and your good to go. My 2 buddies have cans on their M7s with no bogging issues.

I am installing an RK Tek Clutch Kit for this season and possible an RK Tek head.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run an M8 and M1000 and sled with guys running M7's. One of the biggest mistakes is running premium fuel in the stock Cats,they dont need it and in fact run better on regular fuel. The M7's are good sleds but they do burn more fuel than the M8

GRD

Reaction score
I run an M8 and M1000 and sled with guys running M7's. One of the biggest mistakes is running premium fuel in the stock Cats,they dont need it and in fact run better on regular fuel. The M7's are good sleds but they do burn more fuel than the M8

At least you got the boy set up on the right brand!:D

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am new to the site , I don't know if you are still looking for an answer , I am 6' tall and was lbs last winter. I run an 05 M-7 and I keep up with everything out there. I do have a bunch of mods done (NOS, timming , clutch work) I was dinoed at 145hp and 205 with the shot. I have over 2500km on the sled without a problem. I had Echo cycle do all the work for me and it has always turned out the way they said it would be. The only thing I have to replace for this season is the rear shock.

Rev_it

Reaction score
Website
animalinu.ca
I rode with a guy on a M7 with nos and boondooker control box last winter at Quest (sicamous)...No bogging there let me tell you, my 670x is still ashamed of itself!!

Just picked up my buddies M7 from Specialty, and he had the boondocker controler installed. Does anyone have "fuel maps" that work well for them?

Getting ready for the first trip to McBride next weekend and wanted to start somewhere with the mapping?

coots

Reaction score
Theres no reason why an M7 cant run with the 800's. Its a super light sled with decent power. It just takes a little more rider ability.

Samuel

Reaction score
if you were still wondering which you were probably not the bogging problem was with the engine it self. the design was not perfect and they couldnt fix it in 2006 so thats why they stopped making that 700 engine the 800 engine some think is only a bigger bore but it is completely different design engine

Top Bottom