How does the new xm start in really cold temps??

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has left their machine outside on below -20+ weather? And if so how did it start. Only reason I'm asking is unfortunately I have to go use my sled and get paid for it ( lol) but am gonna have to deck it and it won't be inside for at least 10 days and I know my 2011 was a real bugger to try and start when it was really cold. Has this problem been fixed? I had to clutch start the 2011 every morning

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is always outside and never pull more the twice when cold, but most times only one.....never get e-start again save money, weight and good to go
OH sorry is it a ptek or etec, because I was talking etec.........

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started my XM at -25C. It took effort to pull over (recoil start) but I got it done.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started a 2012 that sat out in -30 for a week on the first pull. I rode valemount last year @ a record -37 and the recoil just wouldn't rewind. Had to thaw it out. You should be fine they seem ok down to -25. The motor will never have an issue but the recoil will below that temp

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took 3 pulls after riding in the truck at -33 for 14 hrs to start mine but it only had a total of 1.3mi on it so it was fresh out the box still.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wife laughed at me when I had to pull it over three or four times in -26', she said her finger cramped up a bit pushing the start button on hers. We both run 2013 800 summits. If you have to use for work, the company should supply you with some sort of comp I hope. Not that using my new doo at work would be a hardship, its a matter of principal. ;)

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the -25C start again today. Took about 6 pulls. It would alternate between pulls that I couldn't turn it over and pulls that got a few ignitions but then engine died before dash turned on.

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wife laughed at me when I had to pull it over three or four times in -26', she said her finger cramped up a bit pushing the start button on hers. We both run 2013 800 summits. If you have to use for work, the company should supply you with some sort of comp I hope. Not that using my new doo at work would be a hardship, its a matter of principal. ;)

I bill it out for $200+ a day. I have to sled to remote well sites that they don't access in the winter north of red earth. Snow was waste deep. Lol. But it was starting fine in -28

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What's this cold weather thing? I haven't seen -20C yet this winter………just saying

BTW, my black beauty sits in the heated shop and the orange button works first time every time……….not that I'm bragging but rather just saying!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Six pulls wtf? Put some effort into it man! Lol. I rode -36 last winter with Bret Rasmussen and my recoil locked up it was so cold. Had to use the rope on the clutch and it didn't take 6 try's with that even. This is one characteristic of the Etec that is different from the ptek. Even when warm the Etec needs a REALLY good pull on the rope full extension. And for what ever reason if you don't get it on the first or second because you didn't pull hard enough it doesn't like to start after that. I think it's because those direct injectors spray at extremely high pressure and soak the plug after every pull.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Dont worry about the weight problem. This is highly over rated.....
Just strap on a Honda 2500 W generator to the tunnel (they start at any temp), run an extension cord to a pad heater attached to the block.
Allow to run for an hour minimum and voila, first pull ever time.
Dont worry about cooking on the exhaust because you can always strap on a microwave for those hunger stops to warm up those meals.
Just think about the wicked sound system you will be able to run with this power at your ffinger tips!
Problem solved......BWHAAAAA!!!!!!

Top Bottom