How do you deck out your quad?

Cat_Girl

Reaction score
Website
www.ralphsmotorsports.com
Hey Guys,
So I'm looking on info on what kind of things you guys do to your quads. What kind of mods are you doing? Are they performance or just 'cool factor' mods? About how much are these mods costing you?

Thanks!

blar

Reaction score
28" Outlaw tires $800-900
1" Wheel spacers so the above fit $100.00
Beadlock rims $500.00
Rad relocate kit $300.00
Clutch Kit $100-150.00
GPS $500.00
Bear spray $50.00
60" plow $500-600.00

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So I'm looking on info on what kind of things you guys do to your quads. What kind of mods are you doing? Are they performance or just 'cool factor' mods? About how much are these mods costing you?

Thanks!

I'd say it largely depends on the type of riding you do. I'd say skid plates and a winch are a must. And if steel cables make you as nerveous as they do me, then get a synthetic rope.

I like mud, so I also have mud tires, a rad relocation, and snorkels which are relatively minor upgrades. A wireless remote for your winch is a pretty neat "cool factor" mod, but is also extremely handy, especially if you have issues with freespooling your winch line out.

If you start looking at bigger/heavier tires, a clutch kit is a must on most quads. Shimming your primary will also really improve your bottom end power but you will lose a lottle off your top end speed. As an alternative to shimming, you can also have your primary machined which will give you the same results as shims without any top end loss. Most of the die hards will at least go with a clutch kit.

All these mods are bolt-on and will not compromise your reliability unles you start looking at huge, heavy tires like 30" Silverbacks. With tires like that, you'd likely want to upgrade your axles as well since heavy aggressive tires increase the chance of you snappng an axle. Also, unless you'r in an 800+ Can Am or Polaris, you'll have a little trouble turning tires that big. Most people are fine with 28's. Zilla's seem to be the fav around here these days - all purcpose, light, and good in the mud.

If you want to squeeze more power out of your ride, be prepared to open your wallet. I just started small and still haven't got it quite right after a year. Granted, I'm no mechanic, so the expense and learning curve is a bit steeper for me that some others. With just a EFI controller, performance exhause, and a good dyno tuning, you can probably sqeeze and extra 10-20% outta your ride for a little over $1000 without compromising your reliability. Big bore kits, strokers, porting, cams, and high compresion pistons start to get stupidly expensive, complicated, difficult to tweak, and could seriously compromise your reliability.

What kind of ride do you have?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In order or importance:

1. tires
  2. clutching
  3. snorkels
  4. clutching
  5. skid plates
  6. clutching
  7. anything else

lol, so yeah, you might want to look nto clutching. However, I'd personally move skid plates to the top if you have a realitively new ride and want to keep it for a while, 'cause the rest may not matter much if you have a bent frame. My skid plates get a lot of action and I'm thankful I have them. Skid plates is a relatively broad term that often refer to a-arm guards, front bash plates, frame guards, etc. - it's all optional to me except the ones that protect your frame.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u guys forgot a winch, although why anyone would buy a quad without a winch is beyond me.

Cat_Girl

Reaction score
Website
I work at a dealership, and me and the techs are trying to figure out some neat stuff to do to some of the quads.
Every winter we accessorize sleds for show and sell 'em, and in the spring we accessorize utvs, but we don't do anything to quads.
What about lift kits? Would you buy a quad with a lift kit?
Is this stuff that you prefer doing yourself after you've bought the quad? Or would you walk into a dealership and buy a quad that already has this stuff done to it?

doin it in the dirt

Reaction score
I would say it depends on what you ride.....from reading the comments everyone has a decent 4x4 with some mods they have put on for there liking and to make the machine the way they want, which is awesome!!

We have 2 sport quads a LTR 450 and a 400ex, so snorkels and winches really aren't our thing, but my husband takes pride in his machines. He does alot of work to his liking and to what his needs are. He spends money on decent tires and rims, then he has changed out the stock bumpers to after market ones, nerf bars, skid plates, he is all about k and n air filters, and Renthal chains and sprockets. He keeps up on all regular maintence and sometimes goes over board lol.....i think this winter was hard on him or he was bored, he spent alot of time in the garage and alot of money on parts!! lol and no I was not nagging him anymore then usual lol......and I can't even complain about the money he spends on parts cause most of it is going into my machines LOL! I will say that his biggest addiction is stickers and decals!!!! he puts them on all our machines, and he is super picky with them being on straight and will only put on parts ones if those parts are in that machine.......when I say he has a sticker obsession, he has spent like 70 bucks at one time on stickers alone.....and yet......I cannot even get him to stick his license plate on his quad because he says he doesn't like it.....grrr!!

We also have two dirt bikes, basically same thing, skid plates, sprockets, chains, and all the regular.....and of course his stickers.....if anyone on here knows us, they have seen our truck....its even decked out in decals.....that one was my faullt and doing!!!

This winter he put a new pipe on my 400, he put on new hubs to make it more wide, I got all new levers, he adjusted the valves, new tires, and new spark plug....see how can I complain?

Then on my bike he did new levers, new tires, chain and sprockets, plastics, clutch, clutch cable, spark plug, pipe and more.....

his bike got no work done as it was brand new in september so its is ready to go

the LTR just needs back bearings and then its good too go......

yes i see as I write this it sounds like i am hard on my machine....NOT TRUE....haha I haven't even ride my dirt bike yet, just got it in January, so as he says (which is his way of spending money and being ok with it) "you can't put a price on safety" LOL i really needed those new plastics to be safe!! I live with a smart ass!!!

The rhino is pretty much stock, he is talking about snorkeling it, but he hasn't been that adventurous yet, but it has a winch, we went out once got it stuck really bad and that was the first thing we bought for it, and then he put in speakers that run off the ipod.......... and now he is rebuilding his friends bike.....

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work at a dealership, and me and the techs are trying to figure out some neat stuff to do to some of the quads.
Every winter we accessorize sleds for show and sell 'em, and in the spring we accessorize utvs, but we don't do anything to quads.
Is this stuff that you prefer doing yourself after you've bought the quad? Or would you walk into a dealership and buy a quad that already has this stuff done to it?

With arctic car already selling a mud pro version, I would do skids, rad relocation with roll bar for rad, maybe some different rims, clutch kit, 2500lb winch, a chip, and some wheel spacers. Unless you are doing 32s I wouldn't put a lift on.

Do a Mud Pro Wildcat and I bet it would sell as soon as it hit the floor.

blar

Reaction score

I put a 6" Gorilla lift kit and 31" Outlaws on my 07 800 Polaris and would never do it again. The extra ground clearance was great but you sacrificed stability and the 31" Outlaws were useless without power steering. It was a monster and got a lot of attention and looks but what a workout to ride.

Cat_Girl

Reaction score
Website
With arctic car already selling a mud pro version, I would do skids, rad relocation with roll bar for rad, maybe some different rims, clutch kit, 2500lb winch, a chip, and some wheel spacers. Unless you are doing 32s I wouldn't put a lift on.

Do a Mud Pro Wildcat and I bet it would sell as soon as it hit the floor.

We have a Wildcat all decked out on the showroom floor. Definately an eye catcher!
We put on a hard top, with a speaker kit, subwoofers and in dash stero system. Changed out the rims, added a-arm guards, put on a front winch, half windshield, rear storage bag, a whole bunch of holders, led light kit, and changed the exhaust out.
Quads are harder to do stuff too than sleds! Sleds sometimes you can just slap some decals on and it looks sexy.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a Wildcat all decked out on the showroom floor. Definately an eye catcher!
We put on a hard top, with a speaker kit, subwoofers and in dash stero system. Changed out the rims, added a-arm guards, put on a front winch, half windshield, rear storage bag, a whole bunch of holders, led light kit, and changed the exhaust out.
Quads are harder to do stuff too than sleds! Sleds sometimes you can just slap some decals on and it looks sexy.

And there aren't pictures here?

Cat_Girl

Reaction score
Website
And there aren't pictures here?

IMG_7428.jpg IMG_7433.jpg IMG_7434.jpg IMG_7435.jpg IMG_7436.jpg IMG_7429.jpg IMG_7430.jpg IMG_7431.jpg IMG_7432.jpg

you beat me to it!
she looks even out of the show room
i call her the new 'trophy wife'

Mad Am 07

Reaction score
Whats with the tree branch catcher on top of the roof. I highly suggest moving that light bar below the roof line. I put mine on top in a full cage and at 80km/hr caught a low hanging branch and what a mess. Just a suggestion.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya can see it getting torn off, but in the sales room floor it looks good.

Cat_Girl

Reaction score
Website
That tree branch catcher is also used to blind me regularily.
My boss thinks its funny to tell customers to turn it on (it points directly into my office).
I'll be dilligently working away and then BAM! NO EYESIGHT FOR YOU!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom