How do I prevent 800 meltdown???

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just brought home a 2010 Assault. I was very excited and looking forward to riding a sled on top of the snow instead of under it. After browsing a few forums, it appears there is a 50/50 chance this motor will crater by 1000 miles:mad: That kinda dampened my enthusiasm:realmad: Sooo, how do I avoid the fate that befell the rest of you 800 polaris guys? Here's what I know so far. Please add to the list of precautions I should take.

Duct tape on the headlight adjuster dial
synthetic polaris oil only???
91+ octane fuel
watch the temperature
no continuous low speed travel
scratchers
Never let it idle
Don't pull the cord:rolleyes:
Any thing I'm missin...don't say get a Yamaha, bin there done that.:nono:

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont beleive everything you read, all sleds have there problems.

check your crank runout, this is where most of the 800 probs start. They make so much hp and torque that they start to eggshape the cases where the pto bearing sits, causing the crank to not be "true"

a balanced clutch is paramount on these machines

if you have probs with the crank....call Indy Dan at Indy Specialties in Welch Mn, builds the best bottom end in the bizz, and offers a rock solid warrenty

outlaw454

Reaction score
the ONE thing i have been told is to avoid riding at 5500 rpm !
keep blurping the throttle i guess

Brad62

Reaction score
I got 09 800 and have had the update done and burnt it done once, which we chalked up to the gas being suspect, as all the sleds in our group weren't running worth a $hitt.

So this is what I have done, went with the pcV controller, run a blend of 100 av gas and pump. Not sure what pump gas now, I used co-op before now they are ethanol blended so not to sure this year. I also made sure the oil pump is pumping enough oil relative to the amount of gas your burning.

I have about 400 miles on the new motor and all is well. I used to be very choppy with the flipper but with this machine and the 700 cfi before it I have learned to be a lot smoother with the throttle to avoid the stutter at 5500 to 6500 rpm.

These sleds are awsome to to ride and handle very well, I hope you have fun with your new ride.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I went through all this BS with my Dragon. I've done all the updates and she rocks hard :cool: Love this toboggan but that's just my point of view. I'm a firm believer in warm up time. Cover your ride when transporting to eliminate any chance of crap collecting in the air box. Watch your fuel for proper octane. Treat it with respect, it's the least you could do with all that $$$$$ ya just spent :beer: Enjoy and ride on :d

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Polaris Synthetic oil and Warm up the motor before you ride it.I had over 20,000 on original motor on my ole indy 500 EFI, previous owner had a circulating block heater on it, would plug it in few hours before he used it, never had to warm it up,
I remove rad cap while warming my 800 up. when Unclefreeze is warm, ready to go.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no need to duct tape headlight knob. polaris has a nice cover on the 2010's. Use polaris ves oil and shell v power gas. put a litre of oil in the first tank of gas. Let the sled warm up to 120 degrees before riding it. put a power commander 5 on it with the dynotech map and ride it like a sled should be riden.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel controler!!!! I had tons of probs(3 top ends), put boost on with an attitude industries controler and not a hick up since. I am yet to hear of a turbod' top end having the poopoo nightmares and I believe this is simply because of the new mapping. Have heard nothing but great things about the 5.

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode the last 2 years with 4 guys with 08 dragons. Not one of them blew a motor. We always ride to the pin and i think this is why they never blew up. One of the guys runs the cheapest synthetic oil you can buy and still zero issues, just serviced the power valves twice as much. They all bought new pro rides this year and hopefully we will all see no issues with this model too. Happy riding dude.

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have to say that i just got to ride mine for the first time we were in revy this past weekend and even though we really could not go all out due to not enough snow and too many rocks and stumps showing. my new ride was a dream i am 2nd owner and he had all the updates done before i got it with only had a 100km on the new top end. i was very happy with my new ride it is just what i needed...i have lots to learn about it...but that is why i have Chrisco!!!! lol[;);):d

Last edited by a moderator:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have to say that i just got to ride mine for the first time we were in revy this past weekend and even though we really could not go all out due to not enough snow and too many rocks and stumps showing. my new ride was a dream i am 2nd owner and he had all the updates done before i got it with only had a 100km on the new top end. i was very happy with my new ride it is just what i needed...i have lots to learn about it...but that is why i have Chrisco!!!! lol[;);):d/COLOR]

you have to go over half throttle..... so you will never blow your 800 up! LMAO....... the 800 had more isues than the 900 and guys are still blowing them up after the updates! I hope polaris has got the new 800 working for this year! if so then maybe all the 08-09 800 can get this engine to put into there sled! I have seen guys on 4-5 engines in one riding season......but like I said Pinky.......you will have no problem with your 800! just put aside $3000 for a spare engine and $1500 for the chopper ride! lmfao

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh forget the chopper ride........you have to go past the cabin to get choppered out....other wise you can just pull it out with a 670! you might even see the freek at the cabin! LMFAO!

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
800km's. Properly broke in. Premium fuel only. Warmed up before each ride. Irridium plugs. VES gold synthetic oil (but I think I'll switch to Shell advance). No problems...YET. Hope I didn't just jinx myself:nono:

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
800km's. Properly broke in. Premium fuel only. Warmed up before each ride. Irridium plugs. VES gold synthetic oil (but I think I'll switch to Shell advance). No problems...YET. Hope I didn't just jinx myself:nono:

Do you find it has a midrange stumble or bog at all? I spoke to a few guys that went through a few top ends, and they said the power commander was the way to go for sure. No probs after that.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just brought home a 2010 Assault. I was very excited and looking forward to riding a sled on top of the snow instead of under it. After browsing a few forums, it appears there is a 50/50 chance this motor will crater by 1000 miles:mad: That kinda dampened my enthusiasm:realmad: Sooo, how do I avoid the fate that befell the rest of you 800 polaris guys? Here's what I know so far. Please add to the list of precautions I should take.

Duct tape on the headlight adjuster dial
synthetic polaris oil only???
91+ octane fuel
watch the temperature
no continuous low speed travel
scratchers
Never let it idle
Don't pull the cord:rolleyes:
Any thing I'm missin...don't say get a Yamaha, bin there done that.:nono:

Why would you tape the headlight adjuster dial? Yes you should run premium oils, it is a high performance machine. you wouldn't run low grade in your high end car would you? Fuel is one of the key components. Drain out your old gas that has been in there over the summer even if you used stabilizer. Its old and garbage, put it in your mower or something. Be careful when exceeding 91 octane fuel especially with these new ethanol blended gasoline's. When you fire the sled up, you should let it idle, not for hours, but to warm the engine. Any mechanic will tell you a two stroke should be warmed properly. I would recommend buy some c112 and using 4L per tank. This will reduce your octane problems and only add life to your engine. 2 stroke motors don't require much to stay alive but if your not giving the motor what it need it will die. FUEL, OIL, AIR, AND COOLANT. Keep it fed, keep it breathing and keep it cool, respectively.

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you find it has a midrange stumble or bog at all? I spoke to a few guys that went through a few top ends, and they said the power commander was the way to go for sure. No probs after that.

It had a serious bog during the first tank of fuel, but it was very inconsistent and seems to have disappeared since I changed the plugs (they were fouled by the extra oil). I haven't notice a bog during the last 3 or 4 hundred kms, but I don't really spend any time in the midrange...just pass through it on the way to WOT.:d

pehmanndragon

Reaction score
Every ride i let it warm-up too at least 100 degrees before goin, runnin 91 oct non eth gas with a little 112 mach series race fuel (makin it around 95 or 96 oct) feathered the flipper when i ride not stayin at one rpm, covered it where ever i transported it, and she melted the crank at around 1300 miles, dont know what to try next about ready to go back to the 85 phazer i have in the shed that has a million miles on it and never has let me down. Any suggestions anyone?

Top Bottom