How do I get the diesel smell out?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kevin came home with diesel on his clothes, long story short, he washed them in my washer and dryer. Now my wash machine stinks like diesel... How do I get the smell out?!

Oh, and I've tried running it on extra hot - empty, full of towels, wash machine cleaner. Running it on cold - empty and full. Left it air out. I'm running out of ideas!!

New Husband????

Nevermind.....washing machine will still stink.

I think a few runs (3 or 4) with just bleach will help.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throw a couple bags of drilling mud in it...cause invert is everybody's favorite smell.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get crude oil/diesel all over all the time, no biggie, 1 cup Mr Clean, 1/2 dose of normal laundry detergent and a dash of Calgon softener = clean coveralls. I wash everything in this machine and I am a clean freak. Wash twice if machine still stinks.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get crude oil/diesel all over all the time, no biggie, 1 cup Mr Clean, 1/2 dose of normal laundry detergent and a dash of Calgon softener = clean coveralls. I wash everything in this machine and I am a clean freak. Wash twice if machine still stinks.

In a HE washer?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I hear that salt and baking soda are really good to use in washing machines to get rid of the smell of gasoline... I wonder if that would be the same for diesel?

Its the oil in the diesel that coats all the rubber and plastic components. You cannot clean this off, once the diesel has absorbed into the plastics/rubbers it leaves this film. The best way to remove it is replacement. Also if you used a liquid fabric softener you will also find it more difficult to remove as that leaves a permanent film, now that film will be impregnated with a diesel film as well.

Top Bottom