78 liberal...doubtful
77 ndp...maybe
74 green...not about to waste my vote on green
44 con...no surprise there

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
83% Conservative

Interesting info if you click on "compare answers" of each party and see where each party stands on some of these questions......

a couple of examples of the NDP beliefs;

the NDP believe we should give aboriginals more money and give their land back
the NDP believe we should not build the proposed pipelines and the oil sands (actually its written "tar sands") should be shut down

hmmm....some real eye opening beliefs by some of these parties....somewhat scary if they come into power.....

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was raised to battle the enemy you know vs the one you don't know. They all suck! I'd vote for a three toed sloth if it was in the running. At least Harper can put on his big boy pants and handle a firearm. The other two are PUSSIES!!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
CALGARY - A fresh wave of layoffs is hitting the energy sector as two oil and gas companies cut a total of 900 jobs, mostly in Calgary.
Penn West Petroleum is cutting its workforce by 35 per cent for a loss of over 400 full-time employees and contractors.
And ConocoPhillips Canada plans to lay off 400 employees and 100 contractors, for a 15 per cent workforce reduction.
Penn West (TSX:pWT) says most of the job cuts it announced Tuesday are effective immediately, while ConocoPhillips told its employees on Monday that its workforce reduction will happen by mid-October.
The companies say they are responding to the recent decline in oil prices that looks to be prolonged.
Advertisement

North American crude has been trading below US$50 a barrel in recent weeks compared to over US$100 a barrel last summer.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yet as of these announced layoffs there are several companies in Red Deer looking for around 300 people for fracking and snubbing. I would be curious as to what kinds of jobs are being cut?

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My company is also looking experienced employees, and we have been all summer. We didn't do any layoffs to field level employees and continue to have a hard time finding good, qualified employees. It seems like no one wants to work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My company is also looking experienced employees, and we have been all summer. We didn't do any layoffs to field level employees and continue to have a hard time finding good, qualified employees. It seems like no one wants to work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what would your field of employment be sir?

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I saw from the Alberta election was that people involved with or sucking off the teet of government was dancing for joy when the NDP were voted in. Everyone in private industry and actually making a contribution on the other side of the tax equation are disappointed and upset.

Knowing that we have a majority NDP government, there must be more of the prior and less of the latter out there!

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yet as of these announced layoffs there are several companies in Red Deer looking for around 300 people for fracking and snubbing. I would be curious as to what kinds of jobs are being cut?

Calgary office workers and others have been slaughtered the last 6 months...literally 10's of thousands of staff.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Each government always lays blame on what happened before and now the new guys are working out of a deficit. The debt problem is simple: each government adds debt regardless of the color of flag.
Canada and the US have huge debt and no matter who sits in the top seat, debt grows and grows until what... Canada goes broke? US goes broke?
I do not have the financial back ground to understand how a country can continuously lose 100's of millions, billions or trillions of dollars every year and still be running, but any party that comes up with a platform and the balls to put a guy in the top seat and tells everyone to tighten up the belts for real and steer us away from circling the drain of austerity measures and high inflation has my vote.
All the gay marriage, gun law, improper expense reports, and other fluff issues are distracting the population from the real threats in our country... debt. I would place that even higher than dealing with ISIS.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Each government always lays blame on what happened before and now the new guys are working out of a deficit. The debt problem is simple: each government adds debt regardless of the color of flag.
Canada and the US have huge debt and no matter who sits in the top seat, debt grows and grows until what... Canada goes broke? US goes broke?
I do not have the financial back ground to understand how a country can continuously lose 100's of millions, billions or trillions of dollars every year and still be running, but any party that comes up with a platform and the balls to put a guy in the top seat and tells everyone to tighten up the belts for real and steer us away from circling the drain of austerity measures and high inflation has my vote.
All the gay marriage, gun law, improper expense reports, and other fluff issues are distracting the population from the real threats in our country... debt. I would place that even higher than dealing with ISIS.

My economics prof at the UofA had the opposite opinion. He figures paying down debt should be a low priority. It is there, sometimes it goes up sometimes it goes down, kind of like a corporations credit line, sometimes it makes sense to pay onto it other times it is beneficial to invest what would be a payment into other areas of investment or reduction of loss. I'm not sure where the truth is but I guess like most things it likely lies somewhere in the middle. He had some pretty compelling arguments as to why it really doesn't matter but overall we are in a better position now than we were in 1988/93/98.

In 1988 National debt was 273B or $10,400 per citizen ($21,200 in todays dollars)
In 1993 National debt was 453B or $15,600 per citizen ($25,800 in todays dollars)
In 1998 National debt was 562B or $18,400 per citizen ($26,800 in todays dollars)
In 2009 National debt was 459B or $13,600 per citizen ($15,200 in todays dollars)
Today it is.......................616B or $17,300 per citizen in todays dollars

Recourses;

Canada's National Debt Clock : The Canadian Taxpayers Federation
Calculate the value of $910 in 1975 - Inflation on 910 dollars - DollarTimes.com

Canada's national debt is owed to Insurance/Mutual/Pension funds and banks mostly in the form of bonds.

Canada Debt Clock September 2015

The US per capita national debt is $59,000-ish per citizen.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bogger, I cannot offer a challenge to your Prof, his data or his theories, but at some point Canada (although we seem a bit more conservative than the Americans) could be in a default position of not even being able to make the interest payment on the principal. Influenced by falling dollar value, lower GDP due poor trade agreements and an unsustainable class of living standards.
It is what happened to the US a couple years ago when they lost their 'AAA' credit rating.
I watched a documentary called 'Hank', sort of an autobiography of Hank Paulson - Secretary Treasurer for the US. I was gob smacked at the events preceding the financial crisis and the then the crisis management of Hank to keep the wheels greased and still rolling. It is scary to think that the US can literally 'print' money and do such a great job putting fear and intimidation into the global financial community to not pull out and let the US sink into debt.
I do not think Canada would have that kind of influence. I think Canada would have to sell its soul to stay afloat. The water, trees, oil and minerals would be the sacrifice to other nations to lay claim to and to exploit at their will. And bring in their own people to do it.

Clark Grizwald

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote is simple now that I've researched enough on all party's i vote conservative unfortunately. I dislike casting a vote for one reason alone but it's the one that will effect me the most ( gun control ) both ndp and liberals are gun haters, they both say they have no intensions of bringing back a registry now but with the dialog stated in the background the comments are just smoke and mirrors for the hidden agendas they have. Liberals want to make Canadian gun owners disarm like austrailia where you would see dump trucks full of law biding citizens firearms being distroyed and the ndp...there is absolutely and positively no trust in anything they say and both libs and cons called them on it, mulcair is delusional.

Top Bottom