Hot water heater schooling please

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have a Bradford White Hydro Jet gas hot water heater; brand spanking new. There is a fan that is plugged into a wall receptacle sitting on top of the tank that runs at quite a high rpm. What does the fan do? Does it do any harm it is unplugged while doing the drywall around the tank? Thanks in advance.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will throw a error code, you should turn it to off first...make sure you keep the manual for that tank.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Doug I have a reasonably good understand of gas appliances. Your new HW tank combustion air fan is to allow the tank to be more efficient. The problem if you try an improve the efficiency of a naturally aspirated HW tank it would condensate byproducts of combustion (mostly water) on the heat exchanger. Which causes two problems 1) Water on the floor 2) Corrosion on the heat exchanger and burner assembly. The fact that your new tank has a fan has nothing to do with natural gas, in fact your exact tank comes in propane and has the same fan on it. Whoa your cost of living just dropped. It has more to do with the cost of natural gas then it does your new fan.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hi Doug I have a reasonably good understand of gas appliances. Your new HW tank combustion air fan is to allow the tank to be more efficient. The problem if you try an improve the efficiency of a naturally aspirated HW tank it would condensate byproducts of combustion (mostly water) on the heat exchanger. Which causes two problems 1) Water on the floor 2) Corrosion on the heat exchanger and burner assembly. The fact that your new tank has a fan has nothing to do with natural gas, in fact your exact tank comes in propane and has the same fan on it. Whoa your cost of living just dropped. It has more to do with the cost of natural gas then it does your new fan.

That's quite detailed Keith. Thanks. I sort of thought it had something to do with the combustion aspect and venting. One of the reasons we picked Salmon Arm is because it has NG and not electric/propane heat like Sicamous/Revy.

Once again thanks for all the replies guys. A great place to come for a variety of information.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you drywall and then paint the FV( flammable vapour) sensor may trip and you will have to reset it. That is if you have one which you most likely do.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I think you will like NG just fine. Have fun drywalling :)
NG is good. Cheaper than electric or propane heat.

Drywalling is just something that has to be done. I can do an acceptable job but it takes me a little longer that getting a pro to do it. The sock under the mattress is running low, so some things I have to do myself!

Top Bottom