hot pipe button??

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have just picked up a mxzx ace sled. It now has a 800 engine in it. This button on the left handle bar is called a hot switch , so i am told. does anyone know exactly what it does?? Thanks

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have just picked up a mxzx ace sled. It now has a 800 engine in it. This button on the left handle bar is called a hot switch , so i am told. does anyone know exactly what it does?? Thanks

Pre-heats the pipe for better holeshots off the starting line. If you are racing it then you will use it, if you are not racing it then I wouldn't worry about it.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just wondering, how does it pre heat the pipe?

when I was watching x games I noticed a few guys fuging with something on the left side bar and the sled would idle more or something? noticed on the long jump contest, flick a lever wait 5 secs then flick back and go

was this the same thing modman??\

ya what exactly happens, just a higher idle or extra fuel?????

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
is this like those hot starts on the bigger dirtbikes? my friend has one on his crf 450 and all it seems to do is raise the idle whent he lever is pulled, looks like a brake/clutch lever but smaller

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just wondering, how does it pre heat the pipe?
it retards the timing causing exhaust gas to heat the pipe to optimum temperature.

it's not the same as a hot start lever on a four stroke mx bike, that opens a small hole in the carb to allow cooler air to enter the cylinder to facilitate easier starting when the engine is heat soaked. not to be confused with a decompression lever on airhead 4 strokes, that opened a port to release some compression so the engine is easier to kick over.

on the RS 600 'doo, you can push the button and hold the throttle wide open without holding the brake, the sled won't move until you release the button.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a couple of race sled pics from yesterday while doing some drag tuning for wetaskiwin and la glace this weekend. '08 RS 600 and '10 AC Sno Pro 600. both equipped with hot buttons.
pics334Medium.jpg

and this sled, 2010 XRS 800....bad azz sled. this thing will carry the skis for almost a 1000 feet....not stock. if i don't have to work this weekend, I'll be racing it.....:D
pics331Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it retards the timing causing exhaust gas to heat the pipe to optimum temperature.

on the RS 600 'doo, you can push the button and hold the throttle wide open without holding the brake, the sled won't move until you release the button.

Yep, Teeroy's got it. Higher temp exhaust gases pre-heat the pipe then when you dump the throttle it takes off and makes full power from the startline, doesn't take 1/2 lap to heat soak the pipe. They did this for the obvious reason of getting the holeshot and getting out front of the pack early by being able to make full power right off the line. Like I said before, you won't ever use this in real life, no one cares about making full power at WFO in the parking lot. (well OK some douche nozzles do but most people don't). By the time you get 400 ft up the trail the pipe will be at full temp anyway, probably best to tape it under the hood so that you don't hit it accidentally....unless you wanted to get the holeshot on your buddies when leaving the trailhead....LOL

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, Teeroy's got it. Higher temp exhaust gases pre-heat the pipe then when you dump the throttle it takes off and makes full power from the startline, doesn't take 1/2 lap to heat soak the pipe. They did this for the obvious reason of getting the holeshot and getting out front of the pack early by being able to make full power right off the line. Like I said before, you won't ever use this in real life, no one cares about making full power at WFO in the parking lot. (well OK some douche nozzles do but most people don't). By the time you get 400 ft up the trail the pipe will be at full temp anyway, probably best to tape it under the hood so that you don't hit it accidentally....unless you wanted to get the holeshot on your buddies when leaving the trailhead....LOL

dont bash me,, I just installed one,,, I will be first out of the lot on the trail every time,,,,,,

douche nozzles bahafugn bahahahaha thats funny:beer:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a couple of race sled pics from yesterday while doing some drag tuning for wetaskiwin and la glace this weekend. '08 RS 600 and '10 AC Sno Pro 600. both equipped with hot buttons.
pics334Medium.jpg

and this sled, 2010 XRS 800....bad azz sled. this thing will carry the skis for almost a 1000 feet....not stock. if i don't have to work this weekend, I'll be racing it.....:D
pics331Medium.jpg

looks like fun Tee,,,,

how you been,,, have you been out in the hills much??? SIck says he may come to revy in 2 weeks,,, are ya coming???

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like fun Tee,,,,

how you been,,, have you been out in the hills much??? SIck says he may come to revy in 2 weeks,,, are ya coming???
dooin' good my firend! was out in valemount last, on the family day long weekend but haven't been out since. I'd love to join you fellas, but the early spring and recent road bans seems to have thrown things into high gear. lots of iron still in the bush and we have one of the only 40 wheel equipment lobeds north of Grande Prairie.....I put in my request a few weeks back for this weekend but it was still cold out....I may not be able to do anything (fun) now until breakup. :(

hope there's still some snow left out there in April.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dooin' good my firend! was out in valemount last, on the family day long weekend but haven't been out since. I'd love to join you fellas, but the early spring and recent road bans seems to have thrown things into high gear. lots of iron still in the bush and we have one of the only 40 wheel equipment lobeds north of Grande Prairie.....I put in my request a few weeks back for this weekend but it was still cold out....I may not be able to do anything (fun) now until breakup. :(

hope there's still some snow left out there in April.

I'm planning a trip in April, there should be enough snow if we get some "maintenance" snow this month to keep the level, if not then I guess Hope for Snow in 2011.....

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip in April, there should be enough snow if we get some "maintenance" snow this month to keep the level, if not then I guess Hope for Snow in 2011.....

keep me in the loop,, maybe Tee can make it for that one.....

right on Tee,,, at least business is back in action..... lets hope for some march snow so we can ride into may...

Top Bottom