hot clutch=blown belt

800polaris

Reaction score
i was riding home the night before last with some friends and i blew a belt, thats fine but when the belt blew it grabbed the 2 wires going to my egt guage and ripped them out of the dash. The wires and the shredded belt were wrapped so bad around the clutch that it took me 2 hours to get them out. Anyway, I just put twin pipes on the sled and ever since ive been blowing belts. clutch gets so hot that it just eats the belts 3 belts in 8 days. I have vents all over the sled, but the clutch still gets hot. So im thinking that i should put the stock y pipe, pipe and mbrp can back on because ive never blown a belt in 4 years! Any suggestions on how to fix this problem and still keep the pipes. The sled is running mint at approx 1100-1250f, right where it should be.:(

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Wow, could be any number of things causing your problem.....but since you probably just added pipes and things were good before, then possibly your making more power and the engine is torqueing more and causing the wear. Make sure your secondary is floating in towards the bulkhead enough. Make sure your secondary and primary are free moving in the weights in the primary and shaft on the secondary. Check your torque stop on the engine. I had these issues back when on an Ultra and it all came down to just gearing it down.
Another thing is that sometimes twin pipes are not what they seem...they cause your engine to make power in a different spot on the powerband and torque may not be where it needs to be. I would gear it down a tooth on top and the belt problem will be helped.....might not be solved but should help.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
move this thread to the snowmobile thread for more help....

is the clutch aligment correct?

Top Bottom