Horsey Creek

Chemical

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if anyone has any info on the status of Horsey Creek and where to stage when a person goes there? Were planning a trip sometime in the new year and never ridden there before.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if you check the VARDA site, it tells you where it is roughly. Basically it is a logging road, close to Dunster. I went there a few years a go, we staged close to the highway and rode in. We didn't make it, because of the icy climb into the alpine. The road is marked, it is on the east side of the highway, just watch for it.:cool:

Chemical

Reaction score
Hey, right on, thanks for the reply. Also, if anyone has pictures of the area to post, that would be great, too.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to put a dampner on your plans, but Horsey isn't really the place to go by yourselves if you haven't been there before. It has an extreme avalanche hazard, much higher than most other areas in the valley, has claimed quite a few lives in the past. If you insist on going find someone that knows the area to go with you the 1st time.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Its a tough ride in as well, you must be an experienced rider to go here. And good at side hilling too. You climb the waterfall then one final climb at the top and then a huge sidehill then your in. We went with a few that new the area and I very much recommend that.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Extreme avy risk and the climb in is hairy. If you go, go with someone that has been before and can point out the danger zones. As part of search and rescue we are not even supposed to go in there. Should tell you one thing, go in and you are on your own.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a first time trip not the place to go very steep and rough we were in there last week

Did you guys put the trail in up the creek or was it already in? Didn't think the snow would be that good to get up the creek without alot of digging to get in yet. Last year my 1st trip in was on the 27th and trail up creek wasn't the best as someone before us did alot of digging and filling in to get up.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will agree it is not a beginner or even intermediate riding area. Can be tough to get in, lots of huge drop offs in poor light and have seen the aftermath of slides with runouts past the lakes and into the trees. Be on your A game if you ride Horsey.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were there in the beginning of March last year. At that point, the only challenge was the sidehill at the top of the trail. Is there a specific time of year that the avy danger is lower than other times? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
ok, I deffinatly want to sled this area once or twice in my life, just hearing that its a baddass place makes me want to go. can we hire somebody from mcbride to guide a group of 4 riders, we deffinatly know how to ride. pm me

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
Not to put a dampner on your plans, but Horsey isn't really the place to go by yourselves if you haven't been there before. It has an extreme avalanche hazard, much higher than most other areas in the valley, has claimed quite a few lives in the past. If you insist on going find someone that knows the area to go with you the 1st time.

Very good advice from someone that is very experienced and has been in there before... don't go in there alone without someone that knows the area very well... hate to lose a sledder over the holidays!

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey how can you call yourself Albertaboy, you traitor, moving to Ontario. We now dub you Ontarioboy. Hopefully we get some snow before you get here, hate to see you damage those shiny shocks. See you on the 31st.:d:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::d:canadaflag:

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
Hey how can you call yourself Albertaboy, you traitor, moving to Ontario. We now dub you Ontarioboy. Hopefully we get some snow before you get here, hate to see you damage those shiny shocks. See you on the 31st.:d:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::d:canadaflag:

LOL... you can take the guy out of Alberta but you can't take the Alberta out of the guy! :d Can't wait to try out my shiny new shocks!!!

See you in a few!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL... you can take the guy out of Alberta but you can't take the Alberta out of the guy! :d Can't wait to try out my shiny new shocks!!!

See you in a few!

Got any pink skis to go with them??:eek::d

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to locals before you go, if the creek up hasent been broken in yet you better be in good shape.

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup! How are you going to feel when you get marked by a fat guy with pink skis? Lol count down is on! :beer::beer::beer:

fat guy in little jacket with pink skis. Ontariogirl no powder here tried to find some all used up although it is snowing and snowing good bring beer i'll be digging you out with those shiny new shocks, put your old skis on lots of rocks

Top Bottom