Home Work Help (Mech 1040)

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im stumped on one question on my module for mec1040. The question is: ''What component of an ignition system determines the exact instant a spark occurs?''

I understand everything in this course except for some components of the ignition system. Thanks in advance.:d

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Im stumped on one question on my module for mec1040. The question is: ''What component of an ignition system determines the exact instant a spark occurs?''

I understand everything in this course except for some components of the ignition system. Thanks in advance.:d

ab=nd this is small engine repair rite, id say flywheel.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

well if your talking old systems points the new stuff depending on where the puter picks up its signal either crank or camshaft

Last edited:

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in a small engine the answer is the cdi box. the flywheel is a constant the cdi modifies that pulse, the cdi is the component that collapses the magnetic field to make the coil create the 20,000 volts to spark.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup it is, thats what i was thinking. Its using a magneto ignition system for reference.

If it is magneto, The alternator (A) provides the power for the electronic box (B) mounted to it. The electronic box (B)
rectifies the alternator’s AC output to DC, stores the energy in a storage capacitor and contains an SCR
switching device. When the external pick-up coil (C) is triggered by the rotating magnet (D) (either disc
or flywheel mounted), the SCR in the electronic box is activated thus releasing the energy in the storage
capacitor to the ignition coil (E) which steps-up the voltage to fire the spark plug.

Directly out of altronic magneto manual.

This should help, all magneto's operate on this basic principle, which is right out of a one cylinder magneto manual.
Any other questions gimme a shout, work with these everyday

Top Bottom