Home Receivers

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a Harmon Kardon AVR30, about 20 +/- years ago and still using it today.
But in the last year, I have really noticed it going down hill. It still makes the JBL towers shake the foundation. (But has it's own mind for sound)

I honestly have NOT looked for a replacement yet, but wondering what is out there and how do you or your friends like it?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Harmon Kardon AVR30, about 20 +/- years ago and still using it today.
But in the last year, I have really noticed it going down hill. It still makes the JBL towers shake the foundation. (But has it's own mind for sound)

I honestly have NOT looked for a replacement yet, but wondering what is out there and how do you or your friends like it?
I bought a Carver receiver many years ago as well, 20 plus, and it still does great. Only problem is all these new connections, well, even god wouldnt have thought about them when it was new. Instead of buying a new receiver, I just purchased a Klipsh soundbar and sub for the TV, now everybody is happy.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe it's not the stereo going down hill !! Lol j/ k

Harsh...... but fair :rolleyes:

I bought a Carver receiver many years ago as well, 20 plus, and it still does great. Only problem is all these new connections, well, even god wouldnt have thought about them when it was new. Instead of buying a new receiver, I just purchased a Klipsh soundbar and sub for the TV, now everybody is happy.

My HK has been abused by me, and I don't think it's holding up as good as your Carver. But..... Klisph is a great product and I like the idea of the sound bar.

blar

Reaction score
Maybe one of the tubes has burnt out! J.K. Were receivers digital back then? I have a Denon 4308 with 9 Paradign speakers and powered sub. Sounds just as good if not better than the theater.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trashy, if you are getting static when you adjust volume,base, treble, etc, you can usually clean up that with some contact cleaner sprayed in the backs of the dial controls. Unplug first of course. Can't beat that old Harmon Kardon quality. My brother in law has an amp/tuner from the mid seventies that still sounds great.....Of course no surround sound.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not coming here to bash brands and say one is better than the other. The receivers from years ago where and still are very good and are capable of producing very enjoyable sound quality. But the older receivers do not have the capabilities of today's recievers. They did not have THX certified or DTS sound quality. Other features available today include streaming over a network or listening to internet music.

Some of the new features alone might make you want to upgrade to a new reciever.

There ought to be some great boxing week deals to be had !!

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's an old tube receiver fix it you can't beat them. Otherwise me and a few buddies are very happy with our Onkyo's and some family is very happy with their Yamaha's.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other features available today include streaming over a network or listening to internet music.
That alone is reason enough to stick with the golden oldies!

As for pure sound quality, I'll take my Carver and put it beside any of the new stuff.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just bought a yamaha 2 years ago and well now i need to upgrade to work with 3d ... the hdmi inputs and outputs are just not enough.....

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have an H/K AVR85 from about that time....15-20 years ago. I am told that the new Harmon Kardon components are no where near the quality of the earlier ones.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I use a 1985 Technics Digital SU-V90DAmp. It powers 12 large speakers throughout the house and all the bonfire parties as well. It's excellent. The "Stereo Ham" at the top is for the temperamental silver $5.00 garage sale silver Technics amp. Lol

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 79

paulw22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have been looking for a new setup and this site has been good, kind of cuts throught some of the BS

TopTenREVIEWS Home Audio Reviews - TopTenREVIEWS

Top Bottom