Holy cow

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If you're reading this, it worked!

I need a new camera and I'm looking for advice from this great world of information called S&M!

The first camera that I have looked at is the CanonSLX30. It has 35x optical zoom but only 720dpi HD video. I need a camera tutorial with regards to the following:

First of all, doo I pay duty if I buy it in the states and bring it into Canada?
Secondly, is the 720dpi that much poorer than the 1080dpi HD?
Thirdly, I want a lithium rechargeable battery.
Fourthly, I doo not want a helmet cam as I need a camera. The old one has focus issues and it is too expensive to fix.
Fifthly, please suggest some good sites for on-line ordering or shops in the Kalispel area.
Sixthly, any other suggestions for a camera?

Thanks, fs

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're reading this, it worked!

I need a new camera and I'm looking for advice from this great world of information called S&M!

The first camera that I have looked at is the CanonSLX30. It has 35x optical zoom but only 720dpi HD video. I need a camera tutorial with regards to the following:

First of all, doo I pay duty if I buy it in the states and bring it into Canada?
Secondly, is the 720dpi that much poorer than the 1080dpi HD?
Thirdly, I want a lithium rechargeable battery.
Fourthly, I doo not want a helmet cam as I need a camera. The old one has focus issues and it is too expensive to fix.
Fifthly, please suggest some good sites for on-line ordering or shops in the Kalispel area.
Sixthly, any other suggestions for a camera?

Thanks, fs

I'm a huge Canon fan, all my DSLR's are Canon as well as a couple of my point and shoots. But here's the camera that has them all sitting on the shelf. I have an older one and it's quality isn't as high as the latest models, but it's perfect for any outdoorsman and perfect for what I need a camera for. Waterproof, shockproof, cold resistant my Olympus has taken a beating, it's been in saltwater, pool water, lake water, up the mountians basically everywhere that I go without skipping a beat. Have a look at one before you choose, here are a few sample pics. The second pic here was taken after a couple of hours on a seadoo with the camera hanging around my neck, still did pretty good I think.

STYLUS TOUGH-8010

Attachments

• PC160392 (Medium).jpg
    PC160392 (Medium).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 193
  • PC160343 (Medium).jpg
    PC160343 (Medium).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 206
  • PC080261 (Medium).JPG
    PC080261 (Medium).JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 199

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge Canon fan, all my DSLR's are Canon as well as a couple of my point and shoots. But here's the camera that has them all sitting on the shelf. I have an older one and it's quality isn't as high as the latest models, but it's perfect for any outdoorsman and perfect for what I need a camera for. Waterproof, shockproof, cold resistant my Olympus has taken a beating, it's been in saltwater, pool water, lake water, up the mountians basically everywhere that I go without skipping a beat. Have a look at one before you choose, here are a few sample pics. The second pic here was taken after a couple of hours on a seadoo with the camera hanging around my neck, still did pretty good I think.

STYLUS TOUGH-8010

pics from cabo eh? awesome spot!

Rhino Rick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have also had fanastic luck with Nikon. Currently have a coolpics. It is waterproof, shock resistant, small in size and takes great videos although I can't remember off the top of my head if it is 1080.

I like it because it is small fits in any pocket, waterproof means I can take it places where I don't care if it gets wet. And shock resistance because I'm not always that easy on my stuff. Liked it so much in fact I just bought another one so the wife and I each carry one on holidays!!

But I would look at either Nikon or Canon. Each has some great products now especially with interchangeble lenses. I wouldn't sweat the border just make it look used and don't claim it. :beer::d:beer:

Good luck!

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to the left is scooby doo rock...to the right is lovers beach, behind it is divorce beach. named so because so many people get sucked into the ocean there. Unbelivable under tow!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Finally, I have my new camera! With the icy roads and blowing snow last night it will be good news for Saskatchewan and bad news for the Pass. All the snow that fell has to be in the old country as the wind last night was a dandy.

Last Monday, I bought a Sony CyberShot DSCHX1. The salesman grabbed a card that would suit my needs with video, etc. and down the road I go! (wasn't that a line in an old song by Crystal Gayle?)

Get home and charge the battery and get ready to shoot some snow pictures. The card won't fit???? It needs a "memory duo stick" but that means a real headache (IMHO) with regards to hooking the camera to the TV and downloading software for the computer and a special attachment as well. One cannot just take the card out of the camera and plug it into the computer and the camera.

So back to Calgary and return same.....no problem as they were quite accommodating.

The new camera is the Canon SX30IS, the one I was looking at in the first place. It was actually on sale for $399 versus the $479 of most places.

Apologize for making a short story soo long but you know how teachers can be soo long winded.....:d:d:d

Top Bottom