Helping a F250 ride better

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes - I know it is difficult to improve the bad ride of a Ford truck ( compared to A GM ) but I need some help to find some shocks to improve the ride. I have a 2005 F250 with a FX4 package and I heard on another fourm that the Ranchero shocks that came with the factory FX4 package shake the crap out you when the truck is not loaded. I don't haul a camper anymore and when I drive the truck on our frost heaved pavement or gravel road wash boards without a load in the box - it rattles my teeth :confused:. I have lowered the tire air pressure etc. but is there any advice for good truck shock absorbers that I can use ? Thanks for your help :beer:

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah buy a GM before they go bankrupt:p:chevy::p, sorry buddy just playing with you. Why don't you give a specialty shop a call like Tonka, Rapid Revolutions, Profile Auto or the folks in Morinville - Xsyourride a shout. They might give you some good advice.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes - I know it is difficult to improve the bad ride of a Ford truck ( compared to A GM ) but I need some help to find some shocks to improve the ride. I have a 2005 F250 with a FX4 package and I heard on another fourm that the Ranchero shocks that came with the factory FX4 package shake the crap out you when the truck is not loaded. I don't haul a camper anymore and when I drive the truck on our frost heaved pavement or gravel road wash boards without a load in the box - it rattles my teeth :confused:. I have lowered the tire air pressure etc. but is there any advice for good truck shock absorbers that I can use ? Thanks for your help :beer:

A lot of the GM guy's ( myself included) run bilsteins, and it makes a big difference. My bro runs them on his lumber wagon too. ( Dodge );)

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Air bags help out smoothin the ride.I'll check tomorrow on shocks I think there was a new shock that just came out that is supposed to be really good for ride quality.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Air ride. Firestone ride rite bags that go over the leafsprings.... worth the money and greatly improve the ride. They take all the chop out of your suspension.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Air bags help out smoothin the ride.I'll check tomorrow on shocks I think there was a new shock that just came out that is supposed to be really good for ride quality.

Thanks xsyourride
The roughest ride is when the truck is empty with no load. Will air bags help the ride with no load ? I know they are the answer for leveling the truck and improved ride quality when the truck is loaded but do they stiffen the suspension when there is no load on the springs ?

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt that the bags will improve your ride when empty. If anything they take away droop travel due to the pressure. They have no dampening characteristics.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've put in lots of bags and even empty the ride inproves.Just run 5lbs in the bags when empty.I didn't think it would change the ride either until I did Catmando's dually and it amost shook my guts out without bags in it and after I put them in it smoothened out.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't need the capacity of the 3/4 ton, why not go to the F-150. My 05 King Ranch rides like a car and I don't even feel the sled on a single trailer behind it.

Top Bottom