help

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys and girls, im in the market for a sled this season and i have decided to try a polaris pro or stay with ski-doo. not the ski-doo i have questions about but the polaris i do. first off i am 6'3" tall and i find the bars super low on the pro's even with a 2" riser. on my lest sled (rev) i had an 8" riser with protaper fat bar clamps wich adds 1.5" and then the highest bend atv bars i could get. total height from post was 11" plus. i like to be able to stand up straight and still be able to control the sled. i know if i decide to go with the ski-doo ill be fine, but this is one of my biggest concerns on buying a polaris. so please if your over 6' tall what are you doing to get the bars up? and the other question is the running boards, when you install the tube type will you gain room for your toes up front? last year i rode a stock 2013 for two days and kept getting my toes stuck in there. (hmk boots in size 14) thanks for your help

tiberius71

Reaction score
I am a tad over 6' and have a 2013 Pro. The thing you have to remember is that Skidoo uses a different type of steering versus Polaris and Cat. I always thought the same thing as you that taller people need taller bars and always rode with a riser. Last year in Puyallup at the snow show I had the opportunity to have a great conversation with Burandt (he's not a short guy either) and he convinced me to go lower on the bars. So I took out the riser and went with the 2" shorter RSI Burandt bars. All I can say is wow - it's like riding a totally different sled. So much more control with straight arms. I really thought I would be all hunched over but that is not the case at all.

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay thanks guys, i did find my self adjusting better the second day i rode the pro. so maybe after a few weeks i would fight the sled better? i have been told about the lower bars and it still dose not make sense to me but i figure things out the hands on way rather then the theory way.

tiberius71

Reaction score
I had the Air Frame boards on my 2011 Pro and didn't really find any difference in space under the toe hooks but then again I don't ride with my feet in there. I have been told that people that are used to Doo stand too far forward on Pros and Cat riders stand too far back??? I generally stand with my toes just rear of the opening for most riding.
At the end of the day they are all great sleds - it just really depends on your preference. Polaris sleds have always treated me well. The bar issue really comes down to preference as well. All I know is I listened Burandt and my riding on a Pro really improved overnight. It just feels way more natural with the lower bars and I wish I would have done it 3 years earlier. Good luck with your choice!

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The toe holds are a big issue for me, I wrecked my left knee when my foot got stuck in there on an 08 Dragon. The Pro is about the same as the Dragon in this regard, I bolted some 3/4" thick Teflon cut to the shape of the block off plate so my foot can not get in there far enough to get stuck.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm about the same height and have more control with lower bars, but like high bars for riding the trail so I can stand up straight and not cramp my back. Running the skidoo adjustable riser this season and really love it so far.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this is another of the adjustments we all are making cause of the new sled chassis we now enjoy. In the past you needed the leverage the higher bars afforded because the older sleds were a bit more difficult to lean, carve and sidehill. The ease with which the new ones handle sort of negates the need to reef on it and hang off one side, need way less rider input and effort.

honda450

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am 6 foot 2 and ride a 2013 pro and have the stock bar set up and it does suck a bit on the trail but is amazing on the hill which is what were all after anyways right?

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, i will be trying different things this season as i just bought a 2012 pro. pretty excited as its my first turbo sled so it should be a good fun season.

Top Bottom