Help with 1000 CAT

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a buddy with a 08 1000 cat. stock 136x1.25" track, Big air kit, pipe, & control box.
problem he has is, blowing belts. he also mentioned that from hard pack to off trail(deep snow) riding the sled bogs down and doesnt gain its RPM back untill back on trail. Anyone with any clutching tips for the machine? He is also looking at going with a 1.6" track. so if you have setups for that aswell.

Told him make the track change then we'll deal with the clutchs no sense in doing it twice. But it would be nice to go for 1 ride and not have to change a belt!

Thanks guys

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a buddy with a 08 1000 cat. stock 136x1.25" track, Big air kit, pipe, & control box.
problem he has is, blowing belts. he also mentioned that from hard pack to off trail(deep snow) riding the sled bogs down and doesnt gain its RPM back untill back on trail. Anyone with any clutching tips for the machine? He is also looking at going with a 1.6" track. so if you have setups for that aswell.

Told him make the track change then we'll deal with the clutchs no sense in doing it twice. But it would be nice to go for 1 ride and not have to change a belt!

Thanks guys
I would look at the secondary. sounds to me like it is binding. chech that the helix isn't broken. broke two helixes on my 07 M1000. put in black diamond hard rock rollers and no problens since

1968chevy

Reaction score
I agree with pipes friend has 07 m1000 blew two belts in 8 miles loaded in truck put it in my shop pulled off the secondary and it was broken he was :realmad: We changed it and put in rock rollers and it is 100%

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I've never worked on a cat before. how hard is it to pull apart the secondary?
What spring color should be in there for the 1000 with all the extra HP?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I've never worked on a cat before. how hard is it to pull apart the secondary?
What spring color should be in there for the 1000 with all the extra HP?
unless you have some knowledge about clutches I would recommend that you take it to a reputable shop to work on, In your case T&T Power Sports. Spring under tension + not knowing what your doing = a whole lot of hurt. I had mine apart today to change over to an RK TEK clutch kit. Borrowed compression tool from My dealer so that I could perform this operation safely. Stock spring in my machine was orange. worked well in the stock setup.

Last edited:

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wont address the belt but if he is in really deep snow I can likely give you some advice...I run a 1000 and just came from another waist deep xperience in Revy for four days...if you are riding a cat in serious deep snow it may bog..the air intake on the sides of the hood are right over some venting on the hood that allows hot air to escape...the hot air hits the snow on the vent and makes the vents wet..they do not breathe and the sled can't get enough air. When is real deep snow like this week in revy cover those vent holes with duct tape to keep the hot air of the air intake material..that will keep it dry!! Then remove the rubber plug on the inside of the hood...when you hit the trail at the end of the day pull the tape off and replace the plug...if you do this the sled will power through waist deep snow....with full HP

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wont address the belt but if he is in really deep snow I can likely give you some advice...I run a 1000 and just came from another waist deep xperience in Revy for four days...if you are riding a cat in serious deep snow it may bog..the air intake on the sides of the hood are right over some venting on the hood that allows hot air to escape...the hot air hits the snow on the vent and makes the vents wet..they do not breathe and the sled can't get enough air. When is real deep snow like this week in revy cover those vent holes with duct tape to keep the hot air of the air intake material..that will keep it dry!! Then remove the rubber plug on the inside of the hood...when you hit the trail at the end of the day pull the tape off and replace the plug...if you do this the sled will power through waist deep snow....with full HP
good advice Dobir but I don't think that this is his problem. A good hard look at his secondary is what I suggest

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Pipes,

I've worked on my Yammy clutches many time just never a cat. My buddy will be taking it into T&T for the track change anyway. Just wanted to give him some pointers before he goes down. The dealer says the clutches are aligned and the sled still ate 3 belts. The primary is smoking hot so he needs something done to those clutches.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When it bogs.....where do the rpms fall to?
Correct belt?
Correct deflection?
Is the whole system clean?
Does the secondary function by hand?

Top Bottom