Help Should I go to 3" cat is offering for 15's or stay with 2.6 track?

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I only have a 2.5 but form what my buddies and other have said its not worth the change. However, when you luck out and your in 4 feet of fresh snow, nothing compares to a 3 inch. but for the most part a 2.5 is the best all around track. That 2.6 power claw is an awesome track. I would just save your money for more riding!!!

They do rip paddles off easier but I don't think there is a real difference with the cooling issues.

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mark and I threw this same thing around when we were getting my new sled put together this fall. We decided that the number of days the 3" would make a big difference over the 2.6 are only a few days a year, if we are lucky, for those of us that can't load up and go everytime a big storm moves thru. In spring riding and set up snow, cooling could be an issue also. If I lived where I could limit my riding to deep powder days and not plan a trip and hope for the best I might have went 3"; but in the end I went for a proven all round performer and stayed with the 2.6. If the snow is tits deep could someone with a 3" please come make me a track to poach so I can get around?? Thanx in advance.

outfitter67

Reaction score
I put a 162" x3" challenger X 3 on my '13 CAT HCR , the 85 durometer track they come with is good only for spring conditions , now with the 3", climbs that i had to turn out of for fear of a stuck in the past, now i turn out for fear of the height it will climb to . The 3" will get you to way more places , I am a firm believer in that , I am waiting for another week then I will try out the new ride XM 174" x3". I have even driven the HCR down on flat land and only had a temp light come on once on a icy section of trail . Scratchers are mandatory with a 3" track . if you dont ride the mountains much its not worth it .

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had 2.5 x174 then 3 x174 and have switched back to 2.5
Way better all around track. IMO

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, going to stay with the 2.6, can always do it later and this way I'm not a guinea pig for the 3" and possible issues it might bring.

Selling some travel covers and other parts for new PC and M series sleds over in classifieds. Cheers!!!

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the power claw 3in?
No beefy fingers like on the 2.6 and 2.25
Plus not as many fingers
Looks like the X3 with a few little fingers on the end of every second paddle
Not worth the big bucks they want for a outright purchase

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah I'm not doing it, the price was like 1100 for labour and materials.

Top Bottom