Help shape new sled specific avy safety tools! Survey with prizes!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Of all the pictures or images that they used for riding scenarios none of them were of flat/low sloped treed areas with surrounding open glades and meadows. I got the impression that this was all about "climbing" or touring in terrain infested traps. High snow covered mountains in the background and above that could be deadly. Something was lacking in that section, IMHO.

I completed it and I didn't care whether I passed. When am I going to be in an avalanche? 1-100 years, 1-10 years or in 5/day. I really don't know and thought that was quite an uneducated question (like really, what were they getting at?).

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i agree ....

not realy the terrain i ride in ... in the pics ... but i guess how many can they have

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It keeps locking up on me at 63% completion.... Is this happening to anyone else?

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of all the pictures or images that they used for riding scenarios none of them were of flat/low sloped treed areas with surrounding open glades and meadows. I got the impression that this was all about "climbing" or touring in terrain infested traps. High snow covered mountains in the background and above that could be deadly. Something was lacking in that section, IMHO.

I completed it and I didn't care whether I passed. When am I going to be in an avalanche? 1-100 years, 1-10 years or in 5/day. I really don't know and thought that was quite an uneducated question (like really, what were they getting at?).

I agree Fernie. I don't do the big, steep, open s*it when avy danger is high, but I don't go home either.

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
did the survey. one thing that struck me as strange is that in all of that they never asked once whether or not we had spouses or children. i know that many peoples decision making process and outlook on safety in the mountains changes quite a bit after becoming a parent or spouse. I just think it might help them to understand why certain people think of things a certain way.

I do realize that nobody wants to die in an avalanche but I have had many friends that thought nothing would ever happen to them in the mountains and as soon as they had wives and children they were all about getting the proper gear and training to be out in the backcountry.
Does anybody else feel this way? Or is it just me?

Awesome comment!! I'll pass it along to Pascal ...maybe it can be added in asap.
I notice this too in the avalanche classes. Guys that I have poked for years don't make it into classes until they bring family. Whatever works!

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Done but the last questions with pics the pics wouldn't come up.

So I acdc 'd it

Hope I passed too
Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

I passed your comments along to Pascal. Just curious, did you complete the survey on your HTC? Computer? What browser? This might help them fix it.

UPDATE: Anyone having troubles with the survey can email avalanche@sfu.ca
Pascal can sneak you into the middle of the survey to finish where you got stuck.

Sorry for the inconvenience..:confused:

Last edited:

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com

I feel your pain! A single picture is always tough to work with. The pictures are randomly selected for each participant, so you may have had different images than other people. Sorry for your bad experience.

Hopefully most of the pictures have a general theme to them. Don't get hung up on specific small features or distant slopes. It is likely the main foreground that the survey is intending you to consider.

Thanks again to everyone...there have been over 300 completed surveys since Monday! Great start! :specool:

Regarding the 1/100 chance of getting caught in an avy...just interested in the survey taker's perception of avalanche risk in comparison to automotive risks. Don't think too much...just do a comparison between the two activities.

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
did the survey. one thing that struck me as strange is that in all of that they never asked once whether or not we had spouses or children. i know that many peoples decision making process and outlook on safety in the mountains changes quite a bit after becoming a parent or spouse. I just think it might help them to understand why certain people think of things a certain way.

I do realize that nobody wants to die in an avalanche but I have had many friends that thought nothing would ever happen to them in the mountains and as soon as they had wives and children they were all about getting the proper gear and training to be out in the backcountry.
Does anybody else feel this way? Or is it just me?

Questions related to spouse and children were just added. Thanks modmanmike!!

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It keeps locking up on me at 63% completion.... Is this happening to anyone else?
Yes over and over and over and I ch!t canned it. I wasn't getting anything out of it except frustrated with the computer

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I passed your comments along to Pascal. Just curious, did you complete the survey on your HTC? Computer? What browser? This might help them fix it.

UPDATE: Anyone having troubles with the survey can email avalanche@sfu.ca
Pascal can sneak you into the middle of the survey to finish where you got stuck.

Sorry for the inconvenience..:confused:

Yes i used my phone. It went just fine just the last 2 questions with 3 pics wouldn't come up.

Kind of guessed

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the very same thing as i was doing the survey...

So I gotta ask Kev has your riding terrain selection changed since the inccident? I know mine has since I had one come down at Mcderrmit 2 days before we met up and rode the Flathead. I think its one of those deals that you never really give it enough respect until your hit with the harsh reality.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
450 completed surveys so far!

Haven't taken the survey yet? FOLLOW THIS LINK

tried it last week but it hung up, got an email yesterday saying that they've fixed the issue. Completed this morning! Good Work Lori!

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did it,but my only concern was that all the pics were of alpine faces,,i dont play there i always play in the trees..

Top Bottom