Help quick please RX1 problems

sledr

Reaction score
hi my buddy has a i think an 05 rx1 144 and it was perfectly fine we were gettin ready to go to the mountains saturday now all of a sudden its acting up some times it idles kinda high but thats not the big problem no when he starts it, it seems like the revlimiter is ingaging prematurely kinda like its locking it self out like when skidoo does with the wrong dess cord or if its not on all the way. its his dads sled but non of us know anythign bout the yammies. the only thing he has done to it just before it started doing that was change the belt and the oil thats it. ...... anyone have any pointers or anything .asap please

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be the tors. When you give it gas does it hit a rev limit at about 3500rpm then just bounce against it? This is what my apex does.

The TORS is just a couple of switches that have to be tripped before it lets you take off. One is in the throttle block and the other @ the carb/throttle body assembly. If either one does not get tripped then it limits rpm. On the older yamis it used to kill the motor.

Check your throttle cable to make sure it's got proper tension and slack. No ice behind the flipper, no kinks in the cable or other damage. Make sure the switch in the throttle block is not froze or the switch at the carbs.

The TORS can be by-passed but I don't recommend unless your 100% there is not something else wrong or your just trouble shooting in the garage. Keep a hand near the kill switch.

good luck,

Shawn.

sledr

Reaction score
shawn thats exactly what is happening do u think leavin er in a heated shop overnight would fix the problem ??

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shawn's got it I am sure.

Do everything he suggested - a night in the shop won't hurt either!

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's ice related it'll help. Carb's could be froze, moisture in throttle cable, etc.

I'm not sure where it is on the RX-1 but your looking for two single wires that have quick disconnects. Disconnect them and swap the wires and re-connect.

On the Apex this is located near the upper steering bushing/block in the wiring harness that comes form the handle bar control pods.

Careful doing this, I wrote off an old Phazer II 'cause I had the TORS by-passed. Carbs froze open and it took off wide open when it was started (by bro' in law). It ran down a city block with out hitting anything then piled into a tree. I was lucky nobody got hurt.

Hand near the kill switch!

Good Luck!

sledr

Reaction score
thanks man your first part really helped what to look for i found the problem almost right away the lock nut on the throttle cable goin into the carbs came loose and it vibrated its way out a bit so all i had to do was screw it back in and tighten the nut and away she went thanks all ya guys

powder muncher

Reaction score
Just make sure there is free-play in the throttle cable.
Check the routing so it is not hooked up on something.
Loosen the throttle cable and if it goes away you know that is what it was ---it usually happens on sleds with risers where the cable is close to the limit.
If the throttle switch on the flipper shows closed and the one on the carb shows partial throttle it will cut the engine above 3500 rpm or somewhere close to that.

Top Bottom