Help please!!!!

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I need the proffesionals!!! 2005 900 Switchback issue:

-sled would pull like normal till 6500 rpm then fall on its face
-Full coolant jug empty
-Exhaust got hot enough to melt side panel (foot of snow/-5 degrees)
-sled would run normal idle/ pulling power till 6500
-compression is 125psi/ side
-Clutch spring is not broke

Can these sleds go into a limp mode due to lack of coolant???? Also this is not my sled just one i am working on........getting frustrated:rant::rant:

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check your driven clutch and or belt deflection specialty spring strength sounds like the driven opening to early

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have got the perfect fix! buy my 900 RMK for $4800 and all problems fixed lol. tell us more about the coolent missing....was there resent work? sounds like she got really hot under the hood!

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i just found coolant cap loose, wrong cap. It didn't seal tight, i think it pushed all coolant out and got hot. Do these sleds go into a limp mode for low coolant?

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know when my friend is pulling the kids around on his xc 700 and It over heats it does go in to limp mode so I am guess that is what happend to your low on coolant and hot. Try to just fill the tank and put on the proper cap and see what happenes.

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
coolant full, proper cap on. Just checked driven clutch, good. Running no check engine light, but no snow to test sled. Is there anything else you guys can think of before loading up to take out in the field?? other than sell it lol

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check fuel pressure and the other issues with the 900's intake boots etc. i have a 05 900 and love it but early season i found that i was loosing coolant and when it got low it was a dog so fill er up and bury the throttle and take coolant with you and as it bleeds air out fill it up thats all i did and my problem went away

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just ran into a similar problem on the 05' 900 i ride. It ended up being the exhaust temp. probe in the pipe. Didn't show any trouble codes but i took it in and there was an internal hard code when hooked to the computer so Elk Island replaced and back to normal. I thought it was a coolant issue also, because the overflow bottle was melted a bit where the cap fastened and the jug was always full to the top when hot so i replaced with new. Took it for a rip and same issue. You'd hit 6500 and it would fall on it's face and occassionally pop or backfire. Higgins.

Top Bottom