Help please

skidoorider

Reaction score
Hey guys I ride a 08 800 xp with the 154 and I've been researching to try and figure out which is the best belt to use as i just blew my previous one and 150 miles. Much of what i have been reading says the oem 377 belt is the way to go, but what are you opinions on the gates belt product number 43X4320 or any gates belts for that matter, as well as opinions on the ultimate xs belt part number xs821, ive been trying to find what to use to last the longest as i do most of my riding in the steep and deep. thanks in advance!

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're blowing belts often(1 every couple hundred miles) then i would think you have an alignment issue not a belt issue. But to answer your question the 377 is the way to go....yeah, more pricey i know but i've got 800 miles(700 hard miles) on mine and no sign of wear(09 154)

skidoorider

Reaction score
you want the 377 belt. and it sounds like you need a shim kit to align the secondary. alot of 08 machines will blow belts every 100 miles.
Thanks for the responces, what exactly is the shim kit? how much does it cost, and if my clutches are out of alignment is that gonna be warranty work? also i want to vent out my clutch side door, does anybody know where i can find that same type of mesh that covers the air intake so i cant put some in on my door, thanks again

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not if its a 2008 unless you have extended. even still. brp likes to deny that the clutches are misaligned and will not do anything about it. they will do things like change gearing and springs and weights and bushings and tell you its fixed. but its not.

shim kit is 55$ its a bit of work to install it but i blow belts on one xp every 100km and cant touch the clutches with my hands. and on the other xp with the shim kit the clutches are warm to the touch and has been on the same belt all last season.

if you want the information for the shim kit let me knw i can dig it up. or hes on dootalk

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not if its a 2008 unless you have extended. even still. brp likes to deny that the clutches are misaligned and will not do anything about it. they will do things like change gearing and springs and weights and bushings and tell you its fixed. but its not.

shim kit is 55$ its a bit of work to install it but i blow belts on one xp every 100km and cant touch the clutches with my hands. and on the other xp with the shim kit the clutches are warm to the touch and has been on the same belt all last season.

if you want the information for the shim kit let me knw i can dig it up. or hes on dootalk
I have averaged about 800 to 1000km per belt with the ultimax xs with a bb and all mountain kms that's not to bad but my clutches are algined and vented well

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have averaged about 800 to 1000km per belt with the ultimax xs with a bb and all mountain kms that's not to bad but my clutches are algined and vented well

yeah easy. most of us are getting a full season from our belts. but it wasnt a problem on the rev chassis just the xp.

does that team secondary float on your machine?

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heat is your enemy I been kinda lucky i only blown one belt in 5000km
it was do to alignment and heat .iam try out a new aftermarket belt
ultimax xs from royal distributing it nosier belt when it get warm it has
allot less slippages it really grabs the pulleys hard i have about 600km
on it and shown no wear and it alot cheaper than brps belts I running a
800 mxz in the mountains and hard on the trails

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 1340 km's on my 09 XP and have yet to change the belt. It's vented pretty good though from day one.

skidoorider

Reaction score

IF you get get the details for me that would be great! Also what do they mean by does my secondary float im guessing it doesnt beacuse it is still stock, what does the shim kit do exactly? Also i have read some article that my clutches may be geared to high is it difficult to gear them down? or does a dealer have to do it, i can get up to 91 MPH on trail and id rather have the climbing power then the speed i dont mind going slower, thanks again

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the Ultimax XS and my last belt had 1700km on before i changed it and now its my spare. I never blown a belt on my sled.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may have to move your motor, I do it a lot at my shop here and it works good. The shim kit doesn't move it far enough over in most cases although it does help. You don't want to shim it too far as you are pulling the shaft out of the top gear when you shim it. Some machines need a lot of movement to get them straight and others weren't bad from the factory.

Al "ley Cat"

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blew my first belt on the 03/M7 15 miles.took it back and they send it to ARCTIC CAT, 2 weeks later got a free new one.I stick with the stock belts.What i find my probem is that i dont know when to let off the gas in deeper snow,heat up the belt,glazes and then starts to slip which just causes more problems.I have over 1000 miles on my 07/M8 belt with no problems.

doostylz

Reaction score
08 xp and minus the 10 miles from running my spare belt to stretch it I just turned 500 miles on my sled and 1st belt and no signs of aging on it at all. First thing I did when I bought my sled was remove tool holder and outer clutch cover plastic and put in a vent kit also. Made sure clutches were aligned proper. And no shimming like Captjack said moving the engine is the proper fix. ohh BTW mine is a 377. Hope you get your problems ironed out.

Top Bottom