help please

Newfee

Reaction score
so I bought new pistons and a new gasket kit for my 96 summit as i have posted wih (sled died and dont know why) so i put it all together and now i noticed that the piston has a bit of play going up and down againts the crank when i turn the clutch i can spin it about 1/8 of an inch with out the piston moving and not when its at top dead center either. im not thinking this is normal. the sled will run and idle fine but when i rev it up it maks lowd bad noises. im guessing i sould take it apart again but would like more info before i do so.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you get new wrist pin brgs? those are not always included in the kits. would make up the 1/8 of play.

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be a clutch side crank bearing? Im rebuilding my top end right now and 1/8 is a lot.
might also be conrod brg worn out?

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like Kore asked, did you check your connecting rods bearings? If their toast, you'll need a different crank and rods.

Newfee

Reaction score
just came in from the shed and found out the wrist pin bearings arent the right size there 2 millimeters to small the inside diameter of the con rod is 25 and the outer diameter is 23 so imsure thats the issue ill get the proper size ones tomorrow. thanks for the quick responces

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
let us know how you make out. on a side note newfie, do you know of any good riding areas you can ride to frome the grove? i rode from my house today for 2 hours and didnt find any decent areas

Newfee

Reaction score
nope nothing good i found around here i usually truck the sled out to alberta beach and go from there.. as it turns out my issue with the needle bearing was that the prevous owner or someone who worked on the sled put a 700 crank in it. so
I went to the dealer and got the needle bearing for a 700 and away I go. got it all together now and it runs great so im now wondering if whats going on with my motor if i have the pistons over bored and a 700 crank which i can only see that the stroke is longer wouldent that make my 670 a 700???

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....got it all together now and it runs great so im now wondering if whats going on with my motor if i have the pistons over bored and a 700 crank which i can only see that the stroke is longer wouldent that make my 670 a 700???

No. Depending on the overbore and stroke you could be well over a 700 (like 720) or you might be under 700 still. A 1mm overbore on the 670 makes it a 685 with the stock crank. You need to know the stroke to calculate the total displacement.

Newfee

Reaction score
yea when i go out at it again ill figure out the stroke of the pistons and then ill be set. the sled runs great. now im looking to regear it up a few teeth from 22/44 to maby 25/44 to get my rpms down a bit and a little more top end i can pin the needle just about past 9000 rpm when i take off the line. im sure thats not good on the motor

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To drop your rpm's you need to add more weight to the primary clutch. If you have adjustable clickers you need to go down a few numbers. Changing your gears shouldn't affect your rpm unless you make a big change.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't change your gears. Are you running stock clutching?
What altitude and where were your clickers when you pin it?
Drop you clickers down to one.
If you still have issues, add a little pin weight on the primary if you have hollow pins. Also you can change the primary ramps. The 300 ramp works real good.

Newfee

Reaction score
im not running stock clutching. Im not sure whats in there ( the clutch) but it engages at just under 5000 rpm. I will go out and put the clickers to the 1 position when i go back out at the sled now i think there at position 3. Ill try this out and let ya know what happens

Newfee

Reaction score
so I took the sled out for a few passes on a near by lake and after a few warm out passed i was ready to make some flat out runs.Well before i could pin the throttle i noticed a bog start to happen then the sled wouldent rev past 3500 rpm and seemed like it was flooding out. but would idle fine. not sure what the issue was so i started looking under the hood and cant seem to find anything wrong and i moved around some wires and the sled ran fine for about 20 seconds and then died all together. now theres no spark could this sound like the coil dying?

Newfee

Reaction score
the sled dont have dess and how would I check the stator I noticed that the headlight and tail light dont light up at all when i pull her over with the cord.

Top Bottom