Help needed, coolant leak??

cobraclone

Reaction score
image.jpg Hey everyone. I've got coolant leaking from this hole to the left of the front driveshaft on my 07 renegade. What's this hole for?? Am I missing a plug or screw or something?? Sorry for the upside down pic, it is the only way to fit the phone in.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say that's the vent-by pass hole for the water pump

If it's leaking from there, coolant is getting past the seals and into the bearings.... Not a good thing

sent while I should be drinking tea's

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say that's the vent-by pass hole for the water pump

If it's leaking from there, coolant is getting past the seals and into the bearings.... Not a good thing

Shouldn't be getting into the bearings unless you plug the weep hole??
At any rate do a search for "canam weep hole" you will find a bulletin outlining the seal change and addition of a fitting/hose to the weep hole.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats the weep hole, the mechanical seal is shot

cobraclone

Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance everyone. has anyone ever done this fix themselves?? The call for some specialty tools but are they really necessary? Hoping to not have to take it to the dealer

SwampRatt

Reaction score
Mine went a couple years ago. Dealer quoted an obscene number of hours and pulling the motor to do it. Lucky for me the guy at the parts counter overheard and printed off a basic schematic of the water pump setup, assured me it wasnt that difficult. Took me about an hour and a half with no special tools

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be getting into the bearings unless you plug the weep hole??
At any rate do a search for "canam weep hole" you will find a bulletin outlining the seal change and addition of a fitting/hose to the weep hole.

But it's into the water pump bearings
Most are this way, but a few have a remote seal I guess could say

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But it's into the water pump bearings
Most are this way, but a few have a remote seal I guess could say

How about just admit that you don't know....because in this case, you don't. water pump seals on Can Ams are very common....never seen one yet weep coolant anywhere but out the weep hole.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about just admit that you don't know....because in this case, you don't. water pump seals on Can Ams are very common....never seen one yet weep coolant anywhere but out the weep hole.

I did say it.... Look up above

What the weep, vent, bypass hole is for is a tell tail that coolant is leaking from the shaft seal into the water pump bearings ( not coolant lubed bearings)

From what don said something like just changing the seal, so that leads me to take it as it's not part of the pump, hence the remote seal

cobraclone

Reaction score
Thanks DRD, thats a retarded easy fix. The 2008-13 service bullitin makes it seem way more complicated than that. No need for a dealer for sure!

Top Bottom