Help me! How to use mountain sled for trial?

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering how I could maybe tune or change a 2005 polaris 900 RMK so I could use it as a crossover. I want this sled because I have a chance to buy it for $1,880 it runs good. But I ride trials a lot and want this for the deep track and the look and price is right. Please Help!!

-900 rmk
-SLP pipe, can and hot air elimination kit
- 151 inch track
-3121 miles on it

UPDATE: The guy is gunna let me try it for 5 days to see what I think? Should I still even try it?

UPDATE: Should I get a o6 polaris 600 switchback?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is it you're asking??? Do u want to shorten then track length?

For one, I would SERIOUSLY consider reading some reviews of the old Polaris 900 motors... They were probably one of the WORST engines ever produced by any manufacturer. Why do u think they stopped producing them? It may be a good deal as it seems, but, the possibility to have a LOT of trouble with them and have to fork out a ton of coin to fix it. I'm no Polaris guru by any means, but a lot of guys here will tell u the same. If its not already bought and paid for, I'd consider buying elsewhere. And you always get what you pay for...

But to answer your question, to make it into a switchback or whatever it is (Polaris' crossover sled), you need a shorter track, shorter skid, shorter tunnel extension, different gears and depending on what's on it for clutching, maybe a whole new clutch setup. Maybe someone else could chime in and shed some more light on it.

Good luck!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just put ice scratcher's on it and go. But I will agree the 900 is not that great of a machine. But I have seen a few go really good!

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
As said above scratchers and go. Myself my brother, and many of your friends ride out mountain sled in the ditches and trails all the time, never had an issue in hard pack conditions they will get hot but the snatchers should clear that up.

And x3 on the Polaris 900

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that particular model does its best work on the trail.......

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Install adjustable levers so you can quickly take weight and adjust rpm's. A 151 is pretty decent for trails. My lake sled is a 151 turbo nytro. No problems locally

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run away, fast! I personally wouldn't even bother rolling the dice on a Poo 900. Spend a little more money and have a much better sled and more importantly, piece of mind. Sure the odd one runs ok, but why risk it to save a couple $?

Reaction score
Thanks for all the insight I will be considering looking for a 600 or maybe 700 or just take a chance and buy this one. If anyone knows any good sleds under $2,500.00 please post.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the 900 has had all the updates I wouldn't be afraid of it.
That is a screaming deal and if you don't take it you could always tell me where it is and I will go buy it.
I took a group of riders out for a ride the year before last and they were all riding 900's.
They all ran awesome.
There is a member here and on SnoWest who's user name is 94 fordguy,I would get ahold of him and ask him all about them,last thing you ever want to do is ask this bunch for advise,most drank the Kool Aid and have to push their doo agenda ....

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Smokindave on this. Pull the trigger I think its a great sled for the price.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the 900 has had all the updates I wouldn't be afraid of it.
That is a screaming deal and if you don't take it you could always tell me where it is and I will go buy it.
I took a group of riders out for a ride the year before last and they were all riding 900's.
They all ran awesome.
There is a member here and on SnoWest who's user name is 94 fordguy,I would get ahold of him and ask him all about them,last thing you ever want to do is ask this bunch for advise,most drank the Kool Aid and have to push their doo agenda ....

Has absolutely nothing to do with ski-doo. 900 rmk's are regarded as a failure. Same as the 07 rev. If you do buy it i hope you have good luck. Like dave says there are some success stories. But few and far between. But for the price it's worth the gamble i guess....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks yes but I also ride trials quite a bit and I dont think it has had all updates. What would you say?

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't drink the Kool Aid or ride Doo but I would sure appreciate a heads up on a purchase involving nearly $2000. They have well documented problems that aren't made up. Even for that price, I still wouldn't touch it. But opinions are like you know what, everyone's got one. :beer:

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks yes but I also ride trials quite a bit and I dont think it has had all updates. What would you say?

in my pinion i would look for a switchback 7 or something. probably be more reliable and is a trail/off trail crossover which would need little to nothing to be trail capable and still be fun in the deep stuff. Again there are people who have had success with the 900 rmk but its a little like russian roulette as far as getting a good one.good luck with whatever you choose. and take my advice with a grain of salt.........i'm full of doo propaganda.....

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over on SnoWest there is a Polaris 900 section that is busy,the guys there have all the updates posted.I do not know exactly what the updates are but when I rode with this group in Revelstoke the year before last they all had these sleds ripping excellent.
These sleds for other than being heavy are good sleds once the updates are done.
If you are overly concerned about it you can always pass on the persons phone number to me and I will buy it f it is good.
When these sleds first came out and for about a year or two I wouldn;t have anything to do with one but with the updates I would.
I have a friend that has just turbo'd one of his,I can hardly wait to see how it does.....

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over on SnoWest there is a Polaris 900 section that is busy,the guys there have all the updates posted.I do not know exactly what the updates are but when I rode with this group in Revelstoke the year before last they all had these sleds ripping excellent.
These sleds for other than being heavy are good sleds once the updates are done.
If you are overly concerned about it you can always pass on the persons phone number to me and I will buy it f it is good.
When these sleds first came out and for about a year or two I wouldn;t have anything to do with one but with the updates I would.
I have a friend that has just turbo'd one of his,I can hardly wait to see how it does.....

Fair enough. Only thing i think about with a machine like that is i'd rather ride it and put a few bucks into it in mods to make it run/look better than to spend on updates just to try to make it work stock........

Top Bottom