(help) jets set

d_nonya

Reaction score
hay dose any 1 no how to set the jets on a 1996 polaris xlt600? i just got the sled the guy i got it from sead that he left the gas cap off and it got snow in the gas tank so i cleaned the tank ,lines,and carbs but i didnd mess with the jets now the only way i can start it is bye dumping a little gas down the silinders i no thats not good for it but thats the only way it will start? when its runing it wont idle and bogs when u throtle it? it did have a lot of water in tank and carbs ~help~

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hay dose any 1 no how to set the jets on a 1996 polaris xlt600? i just got the sled the guy i got it from sead that he left the gas cap off and it got snow in the gas tank so i cleaned the tank ,lines,and carbs but i didnd mess with the jets now the only way i can start it is bye dumping a little gas down the silinders i no thats not good for it but thats the only way it will start? when its runing it wont idle and bogs when u throtle it? it did have a lot of water in tank and carbs ~help~

pull your carbs off and clean them out. make sure all the passages are clean. make sure that there is no water in your fuel pump before re-installing the carbs .

d_nonya

Reaction score
did that cleened the pump and blue the lines out cleened the carbs but i didnt pull the jets didnt want to pull them and not no how to set them agen

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did that cleened the pump and blue the lines out cleened the carbs but i didnt pull the jets didnt want to pull them and not no how to set them agen

then I recommend that you take it to someone that is experienced at working on carbs. mess up and it could cost you an engin.

rmk900fan

Reaction score
As long as you don't mess with the mixture screws or count how many turns out they are before removing them, you shouldn't mess up the settings.
I've found that it doesn't take much water in the carbs to really mess them up....

t-bomb

Reaction score
there three jets on the carbs. One pilot (used for idle and starting) and basically seperate not sure if you cleaned that, the needle jet (mid range) and main jet (wide open). The needle has a c-clip that you can raise or lower (i think there is 5 spots) to make the seld run lean or rich..been awile so I can't remember what way is what (got a fuely now). the main jet can be change by removing the 17mm nut on the bottom and then uing a nut driver with a 1/4" socket you can remove the main jet. I know on my 440 XCR I could do it very easy.

I would also check to make sure your slides are all running up at the same time and also by using a specified drill (can't remember what size right now) bit as a diameter guage when the slide is all the was down you can see if they are all set right.

One other thing is some time it's hard to start you could have bad needle and seats. I know once I changed my back in the day on my 440 is was easy to start. My uncle had some tool that was like a pump and if you pressue it up on one side and saw it drop that told you they were toast and you need new ones.

This is all off memory from 10yrs ago so you will need to dig up more info. like what main jets you have, what needles you have, what clip are they on, what temp and altitude are you riding (there should be a chart when you lift the hood on the underside with jetting and clutch info).

A good way to check is when you have new plugs get the seld warm then pin it WFO across a lake or a field and with out letting off hit the kill switch or teather then check the plugs(white main jet too lean, brown just right, black/wet too rich) for that particular temp and altitude. you can do the same for needled in arounf 3/4 throd and pilot for idle.

Hope that help out

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cleaning the jets is a simple matter of pulling them out cleaning them and re-installing them. No adjustment is necessary.

What he ^ said. If you are referring to the main jets just screw them out and screw them in. If you are referring to the needles and jet needles, take them out and put them back in. The only ones you need to worry about adjusting are the screws, just mark one side with a felt marker and then count the # of turns as you screw it in until it stops - call this number "A". Then screw it all the way out. When you re-install them, screw them all the way in and then back them out the same # of turns you counted when you first screwed them in (number "A").

Don't mix the parts between the carbs and make sure that all carbs go back where they came from. This is where you could maybe get into trouble because sometimes (especially on triples), one carb is leaner than the other 2 (just usually on the main jet though). Just take them off and service them one at a time and then re-install them and this will avoid any issues. Also, if you think you screwed something up, you can go and look at one of the other two carbs.

Mikuni has a great manual on their website if you want to learn more about the parts and what they are called. Let me know if you need a link for it.

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
I agree if the small jets are plugged it will not idle and is hard to get started. that is the ones to the side. Take a little flat screwdriver and take them out. And blow threw them to clean them up.

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen them plug off to a point, where you'll need a sewing needle or something similar, to poke the crud out. 2 season stale gas, is like having paint in your tank. You gotta top it up & stabilize it in the off season. Or drain the system dry, the entire system! Old School Rule!
:cool::beer::beer::cool:

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
then I recommend that you take it to someone that is experienced at working on carbs. mess up and it could cost you an engin.

Its safer to pay the couple hundred for an experienced person to clean every tiny part of your carbs and rebuild your fuel pump. They can also make sure your oil pump is working properly. then you will have a nice little lake rocket!!!
I still love the sound of those little triples!!

Top Bottom