Help, Help, help?????

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I need the proffesionals!!! 2005 900 Switchback issue:

-sled would pull like normal till 6500 rpm then fall on its face
-Full coolant jug empty
-Exhaust got hot enough to melt side panel (foot of snow/-5 degrees)
-sled would run normal idle/ pulling power till 6500
-compression is 125psi/ side
-Clutch spring is not broke

Can these sleds go into a limp mode due to lack of coolant???? Also this is not my sled just one i am working on........getting frustrated:rant::rant:

sledwrek

Reaction score
Let me know what you find out when you do. Having similar problems with a RMK 900 right now. My coolant isnt disappearing and the exhaust isnt heating up that badly but wasting time and money chasing it down. Any info would be appreciated

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok im not a sled tech so from a car point (am lic tech of many years) of view and understanding sleds here are some questions
1. does it lay flat on its face after 6500rpm then if you let off throttle will it come back?
2. does it sound like it hesitates during this?
3. have you tried removing or taking off springs to see if exhaust is plugged?
4. fuel pressure. What is it and what is the spec?
possible answers for questions...
1. if it comes back after letting off throttle it sounds like a fuel starvation problem
2. if it hesitates after 6500rpm then it could be a stator or coil issue. does it have a oil leak on the mag side? is there a crank seal leak?
3. letting off pressure from the exhust will let it breathe better and you will get better response from the engine. try someone elses exhaust. feel the flow at idle from two sleds and compare.
4. Fuel pressure is VERY important low pressure lazy engine and there might be just enough to get it to 6500 but not enough to get it over and it may run good with the track lifted but not with someone riding it. also has the filter been changed?

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and look at you exhaust valves are they sticking
plug the hoses and try that

rmk mod

Reaction score
Full coolant bottle empty? So do you mean to say that you start of full but after "x" amount of time you run dry? If that is the case you should probably put a coolant pressure tester on the system, take it to about 10ps and start looking for leaks.

If you do not see anything externally you will have to start looking inside. I could see it possibly going into a limp mode if your coolant level droped so much you were overheating the engine, and this could cause the knock sensor to trigger. This could also happen if you were burning your coolant.

Do you get any temp lite (i would hope so if you melted the side panel) as well do you get a check engine light? It would be interesting to rayteck the outlet temp and see exactly where you stand.

Let me know if you need any specialty tools and i might be able to help you out. Jon. :beer:

guidoxpress

Reaction score
DID YOU FIND THE ISSUE?

LOTS OF ISSUES YOU HAVE GOING ON HERE..

as for it falling on its face
--could be bad exhaust valve solenoid not activated, sticky exhaust valves
--bad clucthing setup
--stator leg going out
--bad fuel pressure, or faulty injector

as for getting hot and no coolant in bottle
--you most likely overheated your engine, you should remove you head and check o-rings for melting
--you may have a stuck, faulty thermostat (do you run scratches..you NEED to)
--coolant bottle could have leak, or your buring antifreeze (cause by warping head, or leaking o-rings)

get back to us on what you have done so far, if its not fixed yet...

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a two fusion 900s, and i think that your lack of power could be as listed above, a power valve sticking, or a few of them needed a re-flash.

a friend of mine has one also and I pull away from him on the lake something fierce.

Top Bottom