Help a brother out

bownbuck

Reaction score
Here's the deal.... I put a 5" riser on the sled and now without very much effort, as I weigh in at a slender mere 268 lbs, the bars are easily bent with the leverage now. Bent on a turn to the left:mad:. Called and they said there is no stiffner available, so does anyone have some ideas to strengthen the bar?? Thanks in advance

BNB

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
Is the riser bent or the bars? Agree, go to a 1-1/8 fat bar MX style. What kind of sled? May need a pivot adapter and 7/8 to 1-1/8 riser.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
If it is your riser just take a piece of round rod and get it machined to the right diameter and pound it in there. I just bought some ready rod cut it to about 10" long and used a mini grinder to get the thickness right, pounded er in and have been out a couple of times since with no problems!

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is your riser just take a piece of round rod and get it machined to the right diameter and pound it in there. I just bought some ready rod cut it to about 10" long and used a mini grinder to get the thickness right, pounded er in and have been out a couple of times since with no problems!

that there is some good african american engineering at its best

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fill it with epoxy,the steering post!
catmando!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal.... I put a 5" riser on the sled and now without very much effort, as I weigh in at a slender mere 268 lbs, the bars are easily bent with the leverage now. Bent on a turn to the left:mad:. Called and they said there is no stiffner available, so does anyone have some ideas to strengthen the bar?? Thanks in advance

BNB

If its the steering shaft, then drill a hole at the top through the plate to access the inside if not already open. Grind out the excess metal with a die grinder or drill it out so that you have good access to the inside of the shaft. Then measure the inside diameter, and go to the local metal store and find a good piece of pipe with your steering shaft inside diameter measurement as the pipe's outside diameter so that it fits inside the steering shaft good and tight. Get a good thick wall as well, like 1/8" at least. Slip that in there as far as it will go and mark it at the top, then pull it out and cut it at that mark and drop it back in. Then swing it by a welding shop and have a welder throw a couple tacks on it to hold it there. If your steering shaft is hollow (you will see the drill/grinding cuttings coming out the bottom) then its ok but if its sealed on the bottom either drill a drain hole at the bottom or silicone the top inside the pipe to keep water out.

The key is to sleeve it down past the upper steering support so that you are transferring the load across that pivot point and into the steering hoop. Built all mine like this and haven't bent one yet.

If you want to get really brave you can use solid steel roundbar in the middle like Catman said, but you will add lots of weight you don't need. You'll never bend it though!! :D

If its the bars that bent, go to a 1 1/8" MX bar as some have said, they are way stronger.

Post some pics, they will give a better idea of the problem.

Top Bottom