HELP 09 M8 reversing by itself

letitsnow

Reaction score
Was out riding yesterday, enjoying this beautiful weather and snow, and my sled became possessed. It started with stalling just as I was coming to a stop and now when it idles it goes in and out of reverse by itself. Anyone have any ideas? My hubby has checked the wiring and everything appears to be good. :confused:

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know about the cats but on my doo, i had been rolling it over in the snow for a few days and then when i started it in the morning , it would go in and out of reverse . we ended up pouring some gas line anti-freeze on it, open the hood so non gets on the paint , fix my problem. i hope it works for you

good luck

giddyup

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wiring shorted out, wet connector or switch. dry it out. electra wash to remove all moisture and dielectric grease in connectors.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
2009 is a rer style reverse.. my opinion is it is an electrical fault in the switch, harness or something like that. your dd is not reverse capable .

dry the sled out and then start diagnosing fron there.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had it happen to my '05 rev, reverse button had got wet inside the switch. just dried it out and hasn't happened since. funny thing was, it would quit doing it when you would click from hi beam to lo beam....back to high beam and it would start doing it again.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on the 08 dd it had a servo controled reverse.. a short in the wiring could mean it was a dd issue
could you imagine that setup shifting into reverse by itself? I would think it would only happen once....lol

letitsnow

Reaction score
had it happen to my '05 rev, reverse button had got wet inside the switch. just dried it out and hasn't happened since. funny thing was, it would quit doing it when you would click from hi beam to lo beam....back to high beam and it would start doing it again.

Funny you mention the high beam thing, it did it the first time right after I switched to high beams. Weird, the switches are on opposite handlebars and it didn't help to turn off the highs. Sleds been in the garage drying out since Sat. night, I'll try it out tonight, see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions :)

letitsnow

Reaction score
So got it dried out and put back together and the effin thing is still doing it. Going to the shop tomorrow to see if they can find the problem.

SummitRider2014

Reaction score
2009 is a rer style reverse.. my opinion is it is an electrical fault in the switch, harness or something like that. your dd is not reverse capable .

dry the sled out and then start diagnosing fron there.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using

Top Bottom