helmet to helmet communitcation

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We have the Collett system. It is good for simple communication but is not clear enough to have a long conversation. On a few occassions we have picked up other people's conversations but no big deal. They do take a bit of fiddling to get them set up right though. Larry's mic has froze up a few times but other than that no real problems. I would recommend them.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have the Collett system. It is good for simple communication but is not clear enough to have a long conversation. On a few occassions we have picked up other people's conversations but no big deal. They do take a bit of fiddling to get them set up right though. Larry's mic has froze up a few times but other than that no real problems. I would recommend them.

maybe work if you're riding horses. The ones we had would start transmitting as soon as you start your sled. VOX was too sensitive

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We have been able to adjust our VOX so it doesn't cut in when we ride. Like I said they do require a bit of fiddling around. The other thing it could have been is RF noise from your ignition system. Oh yeah we don't ride horses.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are kits that utilize FRS/GMRS radios, you can choose between PTT (push to talk) or VOX (voice activated) and they are compatible with a lot of popular radio brands.

I have both, a Collett setup and the FRS kits. Collett is decent once you get VOX setting right, forget it if you run stingers or pipes....you have to yell to activate, and keep yelling to communicate.

the FRS kit was good for sound and zero external mic noise, it has a "bone vibration microphone" that transmits from the earpiece. I found the earpiece to be uncomfortable after a few hours.

I found both were just one more pain in the azz to gather up and connect before sledding. kids use them now for "covert operations" in the backyard.....

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried them once and didn't like it for some of the reasons above, but most of all we just didn't see a big need for them...you're all riding to the same place anyway and if there is an emergency we always have the 2-way radios. Some like em' and some don't, like so many things in the sport it all comes down to personal preference:cool:

Top Bottom