Hellwig air suspension

GrizzForce

Reaction score
I got a 2009 ram 1500 that I just had a set of 6299 Hellwig air bags put in it. After getting the truck back from the shop I noticed that they removed the factory coils springs. Does anyone have any insite on this? What happens if one of the bags goes flat? No suspension? My other work truck has a cheaper set of firestone airbags that were mounted inside the factory coils springs. Which one of the bags has had it's fair share of troubles but at least it still has the factory spring to ride on when the bags were airless.

Any thoughts and opions would be helpfull.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes thats true, if you lose a bag your fubared, at least with the firestone setup you still have suspension to ride on if you blow a bag.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of air bags are they? Maybe you could post some pics for us. The ones in big rigs are pretty durable. If you are worried about being stranded maybe you could find a place to store a spare air bag. You would also have bring the tools that are required to change them out...which might not be that hard to do.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of air bags are they? Maybe you could post some pics for us. The ones in big rigs are pretty durable. If you are worried about being stranded maybe you could find a place to store a spare air bag. You would also have bring the tools that are required to change them out...which might not be that hard to do.

I would be more worried about the air lines myself, the bags are tough as heck, but the lines are less so.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be more worried about the air lines myself, the bags are tough as heck, but the lines are less so.

I have never blown a line in like 2 million miles of trucking...if they are like ones in big rigs then they are pretty durable. I have however had rocks break the brass fittings though. The only air bags I have had blow were the ones holding up the air ride cab...they just wore out and they are not as tough as the semi air bags. So maybe your repair kit should have some extra fittings, some air line and some couplers.

I would figure out how to plug an air line also in case you can not repair one in the field. My brother had a spring break in his flat deck quad trailer out in the bush west of Calgary. We secured a log on top of the trailer axle to hold the trailer up in order to limp it back to his garage. Not sure if you could limp a pickup out of the bush in this way or not. Probably best to call a flat deck tow truck when an air bag fails! lol

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt worry about the air bags i would be worried about the dodge truck that there mounted too :d

Top Bottom