Hello? Anyone Home? BCSF...ABCSnow?

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to pass along some statements from the President of the ABCSC to the editor of the Clearwater Times. This was not passed around and negotiated on by a board, this was one passionate mans wordings in relation to what has been going on recently

"There are some serious issues confronting the recovery of mountain caribou
in BC and it is unfortunate that some parties feel that this represents some
sort of opportunity for them to bash snowmobilers. The major issue for mountain
caribou is predation, five years ago the Provincial Government promised that
they would implement an effective Predator Strategy to assist in recovery of
mountain caribou, to date the Government has failed to find the political
strength to allow the biologists to proceed. It is unfortunate but true that
the fate of the mountain caribou rests in the hands of the opinion pollsters and
eventually the soccer moms in the Lower Mainland because it is their opinion
that apparently governs this province.

The snowmobile community in BC will continue to do our part on behalf of
the Mountain Caribou Recovery Plan because it is the right thing to do and we
are honourable people, but I am afraid that the last chapter in the mountain
caribou story has already pretty much been written and the ending will not be
what we had hoped for. When the end comes for the mountain caribou I am certain
there will be people pointing their fingers at snowmobilers but they will be
wrong, we know the truth, we know we did all the right things and we know they
did nothing. They could demand that Government allow the biologists to do what
needs to be done but they will not because they never really cared about the
mountain caribou, all they ever care about is their own agenda, snowmobilers are
better people than that and that is one of the reasons that I have snowmobiled
for 20 years, the people, they are the best.

Al
Hodgson
President
Association
of British Columbia Snowmobile Clubs
http://www.abcsnow.ca/
Contact
Info
ABCSC Toll Free 1-888-766-9612
ABCSC Email - info@abcsnow.ca

I have also attached VARDA's formal reply to the editor in pdf form should you be interested in reading.

Attachments

• Clearwater Times Letter to Editor.pdf
    79.5 KB · Views: 105

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just wanted to pass along some statements from the President of the ABCSC to the editor of the Clearwater Times. This was not passed around and negotiated on by a board, this was one passionate mans wordings in relation to what has been going on recently

"There are some serious issues confronting the recovery of mountain caribou
in BC and it is unfortunate that some parties feel that this represents some
sort of opportunity for them to bash snowmobilers. The major issue for mountain
caribou is predation, five years ago the Provincial Government promised that
they would implement an effective Predator Strategy to assist in recovery of
mountain caribou, to date the Government has failed to find the political
strength to allow the biologists to proceed. It is unfortunate but true that
the fate of the mountain caribou rests in the hands of the opinion pollsters and
eventually the soccer moms in the Lower Mainland because it is their opinion
that apparently governs this province.

The snowmobile community in BC will continue to do our part on behalf of
the Mountain Caribou Recovery Plan because it is the right thing to do and we
are honourable people, but I am afraid that the last chapter in the mountain
caribou story has already pretty much been written and the ending will not be
what we had hoped for. When the end comes for the mountain caribou I am certain
there will be people pointing their fingers at snowmobilers but they will be
wrong, we know the truth, we know we did all the right things and we know they
did nothing. They could demand that Government allow the biologists to do what
needs to be done but they will not because they never really cared about the
mountain caribou, all they ever care about is their own agenda, snowmobilers are
better people than that and that is one of the reasons that I have snowmobiled
for 20 years, the people, they are the best.

Al
Hodgson
President
Association
of British Columbia Snowmobile Clubs
http://www.abcsnow.ca/
Contact
Info
ABCSC Toll Free 1-888-766-9612
ABCSC Email - info@abcsnow.ca

I have also attached VARDA's formal reply to the editor in pdf form should you be interested in reading.

Thanks for sharing Curtis. Both pieces were well thought out and not shot from the hip. A lot of people don't get the civility needed in these cases with the ongoing discussions and proposals that require negotiation and consultation.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is another exerpt from the Assocation of British Columbia Snowmobile Clubs President, regarding the Caribou efforts.
Clearwater Times - Challenges face mountain caribou recovery

VARDA sent in a letter that has not been published and The Blue River Powder Packers also put in a great reply the week prior this link.

Funny how this dwindled away as soon as the clubs did actually starty talking.......I sincerely thank all who took the time to write educated responses and help out the greater cause of snowmobiling. ABCSC has also just created a Facebook Page to try to become a bit more social media friendly and more easily reachable by its members. Please have a look and like the page. Its a work in progress, but we are getting it up to speed slowly.

Last edited:

glacier mt lodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.glaciermountainlodge.com
Here is another exerpt from the Assocation of British Columbia Snowmobile Clubs President, regarding the Caribou efforts.

VARDA sent in a letter that has not been published and The Blue River Powder Packers also put in a great reply the week prior this link.

Funny how this dwindled away as soon as the clubs did actually starty talking.......I sincerely thank all who took the time to write educated responses and help out the greater cause of snowmobiling. ABCSC has also just created a Facebook Page to try to become a bit more social media friendly and more easily reachable by its members. Please have a look and like the page.

Curtis your letter is in under letters to the editor or opnion...can't remember but you did an awsome job..:D:D

glacier mt lodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.glaciermountainlodge.com

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Funny how this dwindled away as soon as the clubs did actually starty talking.......I sincerely thank all who took the time to write educated responses and help out the greater cause of snowmobiling. ABCSC has also just created a Facebook Page to try to become a bit more social media friendly and more easily reachable by its members. Please have a look and like the page. Its a work in progress, but we are getting it up to speed slowly.
\\

Curtis can you put the link up for the facebook page for ABCSC please...can't find it.

JoeDnDirty

Reaction score
Times have changed since I first started sledding and quadding. There were treehuggers but everyone just brushed them off. Now though, people are listening and so is the goverment. If you look at where the grants and money is going.. .it is all to enviromentally this and friendly that.

People/government have trouble listening when you dont add the catch phrases like Ecofriendly or green initiative to what you are doing and they have a hard time listening when groups fight amongst themselves or when the bad apples in the group do jacka** things that make us all look bad (riding in out of bound area or stunting and wrecking chit.)

If we want people to take us seriously we need to be serious about it. Play by the rules, give back to the area you ride in and show them that you can all work together. The government has little use for whinners and troublemakers, they like the people that are willing and proactive to their cause. They will back you if you do the work and if what you want to do falls under what they want. The less work they have to do the better they like it.

Top Bottom