Heater Core.... 2001 Explorer Sport Trac

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone have any hints/tricks to changing out the heater core in this vehicle?

Mines leaking, and from what I've read in my Hilton repair manual, it'd be faster to start a fire on the passenger side floor for heat then to change it out. They say the whole dash needs to come out.....

Any hints would be SUPER!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

Mines leaking, and from what I've read in my Hilton repair manual, it'd be faster to start a fire on the passenger side floor for heat then to change it out. They say the whole dash needs to come out.....

Why not just set fire to the whole thing???????? Just askin.....:d

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I remember right it is not that bad. Just takes time.
Used to do lots of them.

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Did the one in the wives old explorer in my garage at home and yes it is not a pretty job to do. Took me about 6 1/2 hours including recharging the A/C her's was a 2000 and yes you have to drop a good part of the dash, the steering column and then you start at the fire wall and the A/C lines and remove the ECM all for 2 frigging bolts, not sure who engineered this one. Prepare to loose some knuckle skin ;)

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not stage a breakdown ie. a flat tire with your keys in it on the hiway that runs through the ENOCH they will look after it for you I'm sure

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya done a few heater cores, the older the iron the easier it is too do. not fun just easier, my recommendations would be to gas up the cat very closely to it accidentally spill 4 of the 5 gallons around the sport track, take up smoking for a second or two then spit it out on the ground and quickly drive that atv away...and hope for the best..

or suck up to a mechanic and buy lots of beer...........................

but id go with option a

just thinking.........

t

Top Bottom