Heated throttle and grips

outlander86

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So Santa was kind enough to bring me can-am heated grips and throttle for Christmas. I started to try to install them... Then I said the f word lots. I see there is an accessory harness under the gauge cluster, however I only see one. How am I supposed to hook up two? (One harness for grips one for thumb.) Another issue is the switch. It's up for high heat, down for low, and the middle is off. How am I supposed to know what is up and what is down on the switch? There are no definitive markings. There is a small text on the side. It says 15 amp 125VAC, and then 10 amp 250 VAC. I did a little math, and the latter has a higher resistance (ohm) so it should generate more heat, no? Nonetheless, it still doesn't tell me which side is which. Please help!

tvdave

Reaction score
the switch itself has nothing to do with resistance of the circuit. you will have to turn on the grips when installed to determine which position is high & which position is low (may have to switch wires from top & bottom terminals of switch). the heated grip harness & heated thumb harness plug into each other under the hood area. I have personally gone through about 3 switches on my grip & thumb warmers. I finally bought higher amperage switches from an auto parts store & they have not burnt out yet. The Can Am grip & thumb warmers are not very reliable (me & 3 friends have all had trouble with them). I hope yours work well, as I am considering changing mine to aftermarket warmers.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the switch itself has nothing to do with resistance of the circuit. you will have to turn on the grips when installed to determine which position is high & which position is low (may have to switch wires from top & bottom terminals of switch). the heated grip harness & heated thumb harness plug into each other under the hood area. I have personally gone through about 3 switches on my grip & thumb warmers. I finally bought higher amperage switches from an auto parts store & they have not burnt out yet. The Can Am grip & thumb warmers are not very reliable (me & 3 friends have all had trouble with them). I hope yours work well, as I am considering changing mine to aftermarket warmers.
yes aftermarket warmers are pretty good...bigger draw on the battery though, I had a weak battery and tried winching with them on and the quad quit a few times had to keep the revs up so the draw on the battery wouldn't be too much, I would also switch off the hand warmers on parts of the trail when I was stopped waiting for a few buddies to catch up...........once I replaced the battery it was fine, but once the battery becomes weak again I find you need a winch more than heated grips(sometimes) but the after market ones are the best way to go IMO.

Top Bottom