Heat of Vaporization?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This Shellbourne Octane additive got me thinking, cause everyone hates carrying race gas.

But the extra heat is concerning.

Where does the extra heat come from vs say race gas?
894f77f3cada511b50ffdd0c0c0504c5.jpg

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This Shellbourne Octane additive got me thinking, cause everyone hates carrying race gas.

But the extra heat is concerning.

Where does the extra heat come from vs say race gas? //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200229/894f77f3cada511b50ffdd0c0c0504c5.jpg
I wish I knew - it seems to be something with our fuel out west - I'm on my second nose cone - and my banana is heavily vented - even a diamond mesh ain't gonna fix my real world problems - but it could be just my insane setup I dunno - I sold a case to a guy with an 850 silber Doo - and he absolutely loves the stuff - he loves it how it's just simple and it works for him - each individual running an aftermarket turbo set up just needs to try it - see if it works for u - you got a 50/50 chance - how hard is it to add 240ml to a 20L Gerry can - so many people are scared to take the plunge - especially on the 2 stroke also - Hell I seen a gawd damn motherf*ker go into the eagle pass ****TER with a gawd damn dust pan to retrieve his iPhone - sometimes u just gotta be committed right worry about your sh*tty hands later - hopefully it doesn't get Too Sh*tty 4 U is all - right?
81d23b94af5d1c7083b154f5f80db39f.jpg
35610cfc203de79cdf5bf18dd896f613.jpg
304eca2d5fc310b8a1d358ecc697581d.jpg

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting read.

The cooling effect of fuel is related to the heat of vaporization. The higher a fuel’s heat of vaporization, the better its ability to cool the intake mixture. The superior vaporization characteristics of VP’s fuels make cooling effect one of their key advantages. A better cooling effect can generate some horsepower gains in 4-stroke engines and even bigger gains in 2-stroke engines. VP’s superior cooling effect can also ensure circle track racers maintain power in the longest races and harshest conditions. In virtually any application, the cooling effect of VP’s fuels will help extend engine life.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fluids-evaporation-latent-heat-d_147.html

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Toluene isn't typically used because of a few reasons, 1 being safety, google toxic effects of Toluene it's nasty stuff, many states have limits on possesion of it because kids huff it to get high and kill and bunch of brain cells in the process. Second is because it is an aromatic hydrocarbon and the EPA has been restricting it's use due to volatile fuel vapours being released.

It can be definitely used as an octane boost, my question is purity however as most of it is used as a solvent particularly for paint, not designed to be metered through precise fuel injectors.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But to the premise of this thread, I really don't see latent heat of vaporization being the difference in exhaust temperatures. The sources I can find state that race fuel vs normal pump gas should have values within 10% of each other.

I think it has more to do with air fuel ratios. Typically pump gasoline is burned at 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel when measured by mass. Many race fuels are denser and burn more in the range of 15:1. This effectively richens the mixture with race gas and as we know a gasoline engine runs cooler when run lower than 14.7:1 AFR and cooler the lower you go.

The other item is what kind of fuel is this product being mixed with? If the pump 91 contains ethanol this leans out the mixture causing it to burn hotter.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always mixed 500 ml of shelbourne with 25 litres of 91. Gives me 104 octane. Typically run 8 lbs on my pro. Have run up to 10 lbs but engine longevity diminishes at 10 lbs. I’ve never had any heat issues with the product. I feel it runs WAY stronger than the AV gas mixture I was running. AV gas “works” but running a race blend “works” better. Catman10 has been using this and selling it for a few years. He’s better at explaining the technical aspects of the fuel and the oil.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always mixed 500 ml of shelbourne with 25 litres of 91. Gives me 104 octane. Typically run 8 lbs on my pro. Have run up to 10 lbs but engine longevity diminishes at 10 lbs. I’ve never had any heat issues with the product. I feel it runs WAY stronger than the AV gas mixture I was running. AV gas “works” but running a race blend “works” better. Catman10 has been using this and selling it for a few years. He’s better at explaining the technical aspects of the fuel and the oil.
Ive heard of a sh*t tonne of people running it out east in Canada and in the states without having any heat issues at all - not sure what my problem is

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive heard of a sh*t tonne of people running it out east in Canada and in the states without having any heat issues at all - not sure what my problem is

Do you have a way of accurately measuring EGT's or better yet AFR on your sled? Do you have any way of controlling the fuel mixture? I'd try to richen it up a little and see what that does.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have a way of accurately measuring EGT's or better yet AFR on your sled? Do you have any way of controlling the fuel mixture? I'd try to richen it up a little and see what that does.
I do have fuel adjustability - it runs like crap below 12.5

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do have fuel adjustability - it runs like crap below 12.5

That's higher than I run my turbo Pro, I like 11.8 to 12.3 at WOT, but I've yet to get it rich enough to cause problems at WOT. I'm sacrificing a little power running this rich, but I have blown a hole in a piston trying to lean it out for more power, that sure ruins a good day quick.

I'd be curious to know what niner is running for AFR on his T-Pro if he uses Shellbourne as well.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's higher than I run my turbo Pro, I like 11.8 to 12.3 at WOT, but I've yet to get it rich enough to cause problems at WOT. I'm sacrificing a little power running this rich, but I have blown a hole in a piston trying to lean it out for more power, that sure ruins a good day quick.

I'd be curious to know what niner is running for AFR on his T-Pro if he uses Shellbourne as well.
I'm floored I haven't melted mine down yet - running it as lean as I have

Top Bottom