Headlight bulbs

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Just wondering what everyone out there is running for headlight bulbs? I saw a dude with an XM on Bell this weekend with SUPER bright, SUPER white headlights that looked like HID's, but I don't think they were, cause there was no "warm up". These were just instant on. I'm also 99% sure that they weren't just an aftermarket light bar mounted below his headlights, as this light seemed to come from his OE headlight housing.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use PIAA's too..Xtreme whites, but the Powersport version that is an anti vibe bulb. I'm sure we're prob talking the same thing Ric.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used xenon fusion h4 bulbs on my prior sleds... U can see shadows, holes ect with these bulbs, have a hint of blue, and u have to aim the down from where the stockers where there's that much difference

Also very hard to over ride the light output with these

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone out there is running for headlight bulbs? I saw a dude with an XM on Bell this weekend with SUPER bright, SUPER white headlights that looked like HID's, but I don't think they were, cause there was no "warm up". These were just instant on. I'm also 99% sure that they weren't just an aftermarket light bar mounted below his headlights, as this light seemed to come from his OE headlight housing.

More than likely LEDs. You can buy the LED bulbs now but they are not cheap, they come with a ballast. Instant on, lots of light, minimal wattage/current draw. They do get hot at the back end though, especially the ones using CREE LEDs, so you need to have lots of room behind your light. Now the bad news - around $200-250 depending on which type you need.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy uses the new led bulbs with the ballasts in his xm. they have a little fan attached to the back of the bulb to keep them cool. They are instant on and are very bright.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy uses the new led bulbs with the ballasts in his xm. they have a little fan attached to the back of the bulb to keep them cool. They are instant on and are very bright.
More info on this? Do you mean HID? or LED? as far as I know LED's don't require a ballast to keep them operating.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No they are led. Not sure on the brand. But they are exactly like hid bulbs. The have the ballast and everything like hid's do but use an LED bulb. He bought them from a auto store in town. They are all over ebay to.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No they are led. Not sure on the brand. But they are exactly like hid bulbs. The have the ballast and everything like hid's do but use an LED bulb. He bought them from a auto store in town. They are all over ebay to.
Interesting. PM me a brand if you can in the near future.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After researching HID and LED I opted to order LED bulbs for my truck. They have become much better over the last year and prices have come way down. You can find a pair with really good specs for less than $100 and prices keep dropping. Am now considering LED bulbs for the sled as I have seen them and they are bright and effective.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More info on this? Do you mean HID? or LED? as far as I know LED's don't require a ballast to keep them operating.
The LED ones have a small ballast and fan on the fins at the back, they get hot due to the resistance I think.

After researching HID and LED I opted to order LED bulbs for my truck. They have become much better over the last year and prices have come way down. You can find a pair with really good specs for less than $100 and prices keep dropping. Am now considering LED bulbs for the sled as I have seen them and they are bright and effective.

Please link where you are finding them for $100 and if they are CREE or EPIStar LEDs (these are the only ones that are any good, rest are junk and not as bright as standard bulbs IMO). Cheapest ones I have found with CREEs are $179 for an H series bulb.

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried some "ultra-light" bulbs, and finally got back to stock bulbs. Once got into snowstorm couldn't see anything through snow with these bulbs.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ebay is full of Cree choices. I got my Cree H13's off Alibaba as it was a little less for the same product on ebay. Paid $80 something for 2 and the specifications were some of the best I could find.

The LED ones have a small ballast and fan on the fins at the back, they get hot due to the resistance I think.

Please link where you are finding them for $100 and if they are CREE or EPIStar LEDs (these are the only ones that are any good, rest are junk and not as bright as standard bulbs IMO). Cheapest ones I have found with CREEs are $179 for an H series bulb.

SummitRider2014

Reaction score
LEDs don't have ballasts. A ballast is a combination of capacitors and resistors with a electronic controller. Hids require high voltage (in the hundreds to thousands of volts) for start up. The little box that some LEDs have is just a electronic controller. LEDs don't require high start up voltage. Voltage is constant. That's why there is no warm up time!

Sent while I'm killing time at work

Top Bottom