Headed to Yellowstone in March - Border Crossing?

hookedonboost

Reaction score
Anyone know what to expect when crossing US border? Our sleds are registered, insured etc, Have been warned that Mod sleds are checked for exhaust levels? Any one have experience's or recommendations? Any heads up appreciated.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what to expect when crossing US border? Our sleds are registered, insured etc, Have been warned that Mod sleds are checked for exhaust levels? Any one have experience's or recommendations? Any heads up appreciated.
I wasn't asked anything on way into US On way home had to prove ownership of sleds.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have your paperwork, we got stopped coming back and thats when Dad found out the "O" on the Vin was a "U" on the paper. held us up for a bit. nothing major.

Have your passports with ya, and if your taking food across, just say "nope" when they ask if your caring any fruits or veggys.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Had a tougher time getting the whiskey into the US than the sleds. On the way back we had to answer some questions such as "how long have you owned the sled" "where did you buy it" etc. didn't have to show proof of ownership but had it with us just in case.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought there were places in Yellowstone that you cant ride anything but stock 4-stroke's....!!!

Their trail system runs Idaho, Montana & Wyoming. You only need a 4stroke if entering the actual National Park. and you must be part of a tour. But as long as you plan on staying out of the park, you can ride anything

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 of use drove across the boarder with 5 pro rmks, 2 were turbo'd and 1 was a rk tek big bore. Only thing we got was a surprised "5 sleds?!" when they asked how many sleds in trailer at boarder going in but no one looked in the trailer or cared. They only checked passports (which you only need id driving anyways).

Then coming back into canada they got us to pull over and looked in the trailer cause we were once again 2 guys and 5 sleds. We had all the registration and they didnt look at it, just for the trailer and truck.

2 guys with us flew to utah and one guy bought a truck, met us at cooke, sledded all week and then drove the new truck back.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stop at the Canada side before you go through and have your proof of ownership with you. The Canadian border officials will then check the SN on your sleds and write you up a thing called a green card. I do this every time i go to the states with my machines because when you come back through at the canadian border you just show them that you have that and 9 times out of 10 you'll never get hassled.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't even asked to open the trailer for them to look inside. US guard had a sh!t hemorrhage thinking the wife was videoing him with her phone, she was just holding it funny handing me passports.

Might be dumb in saying but if it is your first trip state side or anyone in your group and criminal records are possible do your homework. Some they don't mind and some will get you turned around. Yes sir and no sir works quite well also. Have fun.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both times down the US guys wanted to see passports and proof of ownership. Same thing coming home. Just a note to the guy carrying fruits and veggies. If they do check you and find the produce you will be fined if you didn't declare them. Some fruits are OK. Just know your rules and regulations before you cross.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another deal is if you are taking a minor across with you and your wife isn't with you then you will need a signed letter from her to get across. And they will check with her so make sure she will be near the phone when you plan on crossing.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stop at the Canada side before you go through and have your proof of ownership with you. The Canadian border officials will then check the SN on your sleds and write you up a thing called a green card. I do this every time i go to the states with my machines because when you come back through at the canadian border you just show them that you have that and 9 times out of 10 you'll never get hassled.

If they're registered in Canada, there's absolutely no point in doing that. I've been riding in the US for years and have never had any issues. Depending on which crossing, sometimes they check the VIN.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I've been crossing the border with my machines for a longtime and have some friends that work there and was told by them directly that's what make's their life easier and like to see it.

Top Bottom