Havin a hard time deciding 450 or Outlaw 500

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well here it is shopping for a quad for the spring and having a heck of a time deciding which way to go... I am torn between a 450 or the Outlaw with IRS any help would be great.. Riding in Valemount trails etc and weekend trips to the dunes... Who has them likes and dislikes also any 450's to avoid if thats they way I end up going been looking at the YFZ's but open to all

Thanks Guys

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Outlaw 525. allot of clearance, handles awesome, and tons of power.

I waiting for Sully to say chime in:d:p They are a nice machine but the YFZ'z are decent too. I think the 525's run a little harder stock to stock though. Did you check out Sullys thread where he's rebuilding his 5 & a quarter? Nice build.

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I waiting for Sully to say chime in:d:p They are a nice machine but the YFZ'z are decent too. I think the 525's run a little harder stock to stock though. Did you check out Sullys thread where he's rebuilding his 5 & a quarter? Nice build.

Yea its an amazing looking quad... wondering if the maintenance is the same for the 450's as it is for the 525 looking in the 3500 to 4500 dollar range is the IRS as fun in the dunes or is a swing arm bike the right way to go in the sand? I have a buddy with a TRX as well as another friend with a law 500... the 450 has been geared down a bit for the trail and seems to run pretty equal haven't had a chance to bag on the 500 yet but the TRX was a blast out in the Brule dunes

Once again any help from the S&M boys is always great just can't decide also a lot of the 450's are coming with paddle tires in the sale which is a bonus... Help...lol

Shifty

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a 450 and 525 solid axel Outlaw for a couple years, but they just have the 525 IRS now. And it is awesome in the sand, that is pretty much the only place I ride.

Last edited:

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a 450 and 525 solid axel Outlaw for a couple years but they just have the 525 IRS now. And it is awesome in the sand that is pretty much the only place I ride.

That is the last thing i needed to here thanks for the info guys guess now its just picking the right one out of the list...

Psullivan anything I should watch for with the used outlaws?

Thanks for the help and beautiful 525 by the way!

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is the last thing i needed to here thanks for the info guys guess now its just picking the right one out of the list...

Psullivan anything I should watch for with the used outlaws?

Thanks for the help and beautiful 525 by the way!

Thank you. I would stear away from the 500 fiji motor and go with the 525 KTM motor. They are a solid machine. Like any other used quad you buy you should always look at the frame for cracks, check the a arm bushings, ball joints, tie rods, wheel berings, sprocket and chain, and breaks. Just so you are aware of any matenance you may have to do to get it up to par. I would also look at the handel bars real close if they are bent its probaly been rolled, which isnt realy a bad thing unless its been rooled hard, plus bars arnt cheap.

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok so Polaris had a Outlaw 500 IRS '06-'07, Outlaw 525 IRS '07-present, Outlaw 450 & 525 Solid axel '08-'10. And in '09 they changed there looks.

ABKTM

Reaction score
Get a 525. I'm biased though, since I ride a KTM 450. Love it. One of these days I'll do a 540 or 570 bbk on it.

Jordan

codey525

Reaction score
In a sport quad i am not a fan of IRS, but that being said i ride a KTM 525xc, and absolutely love it. As said before not a fan of IRS, but a 525cc bike with a straight axle is the way to go!!

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a sport quad i am not a fan of IRS, but that being said i ride a KTM 525xc, and absolutely love it. As said before not a fan of IRS, but a 525cc bike with a straight axle is the way to go!!

So why dont you like the IRS?

codey525

Reaction score
Just not a fan overall, but specially cornering. I like the feel of a straight axle. But its a matter of opinion as well, i started on a Honda 400ex so straight axle is what i am use to. What ever you decide you will have a blast. Just noticed you are in GP, my cousins live there i have done a fair bit of quading there, great fun trails there.

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the new outlaw a little over a week now and man it is amazing... Started swapping a few parts already and took it out in the mud with a bunch of 4x4's and had no problem making it everywhere they went... I am hooked got the stiffer sway bar form ebay on the way now but overall very impressed! Thanks for all the replies the info helped, may head down to Kamloops this weekend to give her another good run!

Shifty

Attachments

• my outlaw.jpg
    my outlaw.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom