Hauling bikes

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So im guna head down to pick up the new ride some time soon here and im looking for trailer options. I drive a lifted dodge and i dont think its guna be much fun getting this bike in the box so does any one know where i can rent a trailer specific for hauling bikes something with wheel chalks possibly??

I want inclosed and even if there is nothing bike specific i figure i will just rent a single axle inclosed and fab up some sort of chalk does anyone have any advise on building one of these?

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One bit of advice I can give is don't cheap out on wheel chocks. Get the chocks that you drive into and they fold in to hold the tire. If you are in Calgary talk to Paul at Motoraad, he has one good chock left there. Also depending on the bike a handlebar strap helps out a lot.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sell your dodge and get a minivan then use the tie downs where the seats lock to the floor
So im guna head down to pick up the new ride some time soon here and im looking for trailer options. I drive a lifted dodge and i dont think its guna be much fun getting this bike in the box so does any one know where i can rent a trailer specific for hauling bikes something with wheel chalks possibly??

I want inclosed and even if there is nothing bike specific i figure i will just rent a single axle inclosed and fab up some sort of chalk does anyone have any advise on building one of these?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a harley davidson cruiser cradle,its awsome and can be mounted on any trailer,you can also mount it on your garage floor and use it for a bike stand.wouldnt haul my bike without it.......got no pics but just google it...................250 bucks or so!
catmando!

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its all good i found a company in the city that rents a motorcycle specific trailer for 35$ a day.

Will post some pics when i get her home ....Its a 98 vulcan 1500 with nice goodies like pipes and a batwing and stereo in it :) CANT WAIT FOR ROAD TRIPS!!!

mikewayne

Reaction score
Website
www.usasuperbikes.com
As said here already there are various manufacturers who make cradles for various bikes, and you can even get it customized as per your requirement, and it will always be good to take preventive steps and ensure that there is no tripping or any breakage during shifting as numerous freight companies wont even do the shifting unless the bike is properly secured, and these sort of craddles are good for long run as well.

RDJ

Reaction score
I see you have your problem sorted already, however for future reference.....
I knew a guy who used to haul his dirtbikes in an enclosed trailer. I went in it one day and found he didn't use any chocks, he simply had a tiedown on each side of the handlebars, as normal, and then looped a ratchet strap through the back wheel at around the 4 o'clock position, and hooked both ends to a hold down point a few feet behind the bike. he ratcheted it up, and said he had no problems.
Then, just this spring, i bought an enclosed trailer myself, and my buddy asked if I could bring back a bike from Edmonton when i picked up the trailer. it was a Yamaha cruiser, don't recall the model, but it was big and heavy. I had no chock, so I did the same thing, and it was rock solid. I stopped twice to check on it, it didn't move one bit.

The chocks come in real handy when you are trying to get a lot of bikes in a limited space. This method described above uses up a lot of space with the rear ratchet strap.

Top Bottom