Hauling atv and travel trailer with f150 with 5.5 box???

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FRIEND OF MINE HAS THIS SITUATION. 2011 f150 with 5.5 box, 2013 brute force and a travel trailer. while hauling the quad the rear tires sits on the tailgate but in order to haul the travel trailer the tailgate has to be up or removed as it will hit while turning. I have seen those atv risers on the net but not sure if they will be enough to get the rear tires resting on the box of the truck so that the tailgate can be removed??? any ideas of how to make this happen other than selling the truck????

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because of the 5.5 ft box the rear tires sit on the tailgate. The only thing i can think of is a atv riser but i am not sure it will be enough to get the rear tires in the box and not on the tailgate as the tailgate will be removed.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah the diamonbacks are sweet but very pricey. I like the atv riser but i need someone to confirm if his 2013 brute force that is 67" from the front bumper to the center of the rear axles will fit into a 2011 f150 with 5.5 box and not need the tailgate to be there.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our UTV risers have a 2' extension for the ramps. I sold a young guy a UTV riser this spring for his Outlander Max to sit in his 5'5" Supercrew. He pulled the tailgate off, and the ramps rest against the edge of the box floor and bumper. Worked great, and still able to pull a trailer. Unfortunately, I didn't get pics.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our UTV risers have a 2' extension for the ramps. I sold a young guy a UTV riser this spring for his Outlander Max to sit in his 5'5" Supercrew. He pulled the tailgate off, and the ramps rest against the edge of the box floor and bumper. Worked great, and still able to pull a trailer. Unfortunately, I didn't get pics.

That sounds like a great idea grubby. Too bad you did not have any pictures, it sounds like your set up is exactly what he needs. How much and where are you located.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea grubby. Too bad you did not have any pictures, it sounds like your set up is exactly what he needs. How much and where are you located.

We're in Rimbey....about a 7 hour drive from Kelowna. I have a dodge with a 6' box, I'll throw a riser in and load my Renegade. It wont be the exact same senario, but youll be able to get the jist of it. The adjustable height risers sell for $599.... kinda torquey in price, but they do work well.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
boxer, someone here in the valley is making a rear tire holder (instead of tailgate) that goes into your hitch receiver then an extension from there to your trailer. Apparently it works well for UTV and ATV. I have not seen it but once I buy my UTV I would definitely look for it.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
boxer, someone here in the valley is making a rear tire holder (instead of tailgate) that goes into your hitch receiver then an extension from there to your trailer. Apparently it works well for UTV and ATV. I have not seen it but once I buy my UTV I would definitely look for it.

Do you know of the name of it or where yo find it. You have me interested??

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ghetto way to do this is a couple 2"x10"s cut just long enough to run from the front of the box to just long enough to support the rear tire. Remove the tail gate, the atv sits on the 2x10's and is strapped down front and back.

Or depending on how close it is to closing, using a pair of those $40 plastic oil change car ramps 19530279.jpg might get it to close the tail gate, or at least get the rear tires on the bed of the truck with the tail gate off.

Last edited:

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ghetto way to do this is a couple 2"x10"s cut just long enough to run from the front of the box to just long enough to support the rear tire. Remove the tail gate, the atv sits on the 2x10's and is strapped down front and back.

Or depending on how close it is to closing, using a pair of those $40 plastic oil change car ramps View attachment 137416 might get it to close the tail gate, or at least get the rear tires on the bed of the truck with the tail gate off.

Good idea, but i think i would be stressing out thinking about one of the boards breaking.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done it a few times, not a whole lot of leverage on the boards with only ~6" hanging off the end. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a permanent solution, but it will get it done if in a bind.

Top Bottom