Haul an enclosed trailer with a Toyota Tacoma

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking I would like to get an enclosed trailer, only needs to hold two sleds and have some room for gear. Would get an aluminum model to keep weight down. The Toyota is the TRD model with the trailer towing package, supposed to be rated for 7000 lbs and I used to easily haul a steel car trailer with my race car on it that ran around 5700lbs total, but that was in the summer, and mainly on the flat. Anyone done this?

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like tacos. Very nice little trucks. However they are not meant to tow. I'm sure it will do it, but not worth putting your truck in the ditch or causing an accident. If I were you I'd stick with an aluminum 2 place. I'm sure your truck will thank you and you won't need to hit every gas station on the way. I'd be staying very far away if I ever saw a taco pulling a 5700lbs.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking I would like to get an enclosed trailer, only needs to hold two sleds and have some room for gear. Would get an aluminum model to keep weight down. The Toyota is the TRD model with the trailer towing package, supposed to be rated for 7000 lbs and I used to easily haul a steel car trailer with my race car on it that ran around 5700lbs total, but that was in the summer, and mainly on the flat. Anyone done this?
General S&M opinion is if it's not a diesel then it can't tow and anything non-diesel loaded over half it's rated capacity is an accident waiting to happen. Have a good day.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont see the problem with it. a 16' without extra height...all aluminum will only weigh in at 1800 lbs. Load it with 2 sleds and some gear your at 3500 lbs tops. You wont be doing 120 but you can tow it legally and your truck will get thirsty

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have numerous customers that haul 14' trailers. As posnick stated 3500lbs to 4000lbs is what you are realistically hauling. The key is braking axles and a good brake controller so the trailer is stopping itself. Attached is a few photos of a Nissan and a Ridgeline hauling 14'ers.

Attachments

• 7 X 17 DVN #3.jpg
    7 X 17 DVN #3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_00000243.jpg
    IMG_00000243.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 394

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stick with aluminum and a v nose and you should be ok. Or get a triton with the fibreglass cover

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with v nose and 16'. Your taco will pull that all day long

Mine is a 16' flat front extra height, it's what I need and wanted but pulls like a ton of bricks. My 27' fifth pulls easier

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a brake controller and airbags on the truck. Not to worried about mileage, it will basically go to Whistler in the fall and back in the spring, after that the farthest it will travel in 20-30 km, if I need to actually go somewhere with both sleds. Otherwise I will just have my sled in the truck for access.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess that would be a big thing Id look for too since your primary use is in the winter. Get a tandem trailer with brakes on both axles if possible. Makes a huge difference.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im just going by what people have told me. But the toys tow like a led brick when you get into trailers like that. With the extra wind load on the trailer they seem to have issues getting up to speed especially on hills. Not to mention the fuel econ goes to ****... I have had several people tell me the same thing.

oldym8rider

Reaction score
Food for Thought
Toyota Tacoma,s are on a safety recall for faulty rear leaf springs, that break and have potential to go through your gas tank causing a fire.
They have been on recall for at least 2.5 years with no permanent fix yet. I have broken both sides on mine, once towing a 3500lb boat to Meadow Lake and back and the other side from everyday driving. There is no excuse for things to take this long especially on a safety related recall. The temporary fix is to take it in, have the vehicle assessed for coverage and then bring it back 6 weeks later to have the same crap put back in it as the leaf springs are on back order.. While you wait the 6 weeks they tell you not to drive it because it is not safe. Toyota will not pay for a rental either. This recall effects the years 2005 - 2012.
Good Luck

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would make sure you have the best winter tires that you can buy on that truck. You need to worry about stopping and swerving.

You'll be able to keep speed and pull hills at speed limit, may have to drop it into 3rd and rev it pretty high. Gas mileage goes way down.

Your potential problem is blowing downhill corners on icy roads with the trailer pushing you through the turn and up the snowbank. Or if a car goes sideways in front of you on the highway.

Had an 06 6-speed for a few years. Was unstoppable (and stopped quickly) with blizzaks, not so much the year I left my M+S tires on for the winter.

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give Firefly a call and he'll talk you through everything you need to know trailer wise and how to best set you up.

Ruralcowboy

Reaction score
I haul a Triton TC118, with a V6 Rav4. It weighs 970 lbs empty, it is all aluminum, and it's own brakes. Loaded it weighs 1900 lbs.
It works really well for me, sleds stay clean and room for gas and tools.

Attachments

• TC118-WEB.jpg
    TC118-WEB.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
Your Toyota will tow a light two place enclosed well. IF as others have stated, you have damn good rubber and well set up trailer brakes. Go is not the problem, successful whoa is what counts. Oh yes and if the package is operated knowledgeably and professionally. Used to tow my 20' V nose with a Sport Trac (4.6) and we got by nicely. The Sport Trac went to a new home and an F150 showed up. Been at this since the late 60's and damn these new rigs are nice.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toyota is finally doing the recall on the springs, my truck goes in next week for replacements. But I added air bags years ago as I actually use it to haul stuff and it would sit on the bump stops with only a couple hundred lbs in the back.

Yeh, I have and use studded winter tires, the truck had the factory installed towing kit which included the brake setup and I did install a controller when I was towing my race car trailer. I wouldn't be hauling this back and forth every weekend, it would basically be hauled to Whistler in the fall and bsck to Alberta in the spring, I would just like somewhere to store the sleds that is out of the weather and have a space to work on one if them if I need.

Top Bottom