Has Your Riding Style Changed?

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much my exact sentiments too Mare. Especially the part about "healing slower". Some days I feel better than others and do push a bit harder but Ibuprofen stock takes a beating the next day. Love scenery and photography more than ever now.:beer:

Yes the ADVIL does get used alot more over the winter months around here. I was the same way, as you, one day slow, next day step out of the comfort zone and suffer for 3 days. Not anymore, I see things now, not like before. Yesterday, I saw 4 deer, hanging out in a corner of a feild, it was awesome. Didnt have time to take a picture, but love to get wicked shots like that. :d

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:)Well since nobody from SASK has responded to this i will take a stab at this:)

I have riden sleds for about 20 years and have just got back into them this year from a 4 year leave. All i can say is i didn't know how much i missed it until i got back into it. LMFAO:d

As for myself being 40 years old i can say that my heart and mind still wants to play like a 30 year old but MAN the body feels like 60 and then feels like 80 when im done playing:eek:. I too wish that if i new my body was going to hurt this much at this age i would have not done alot of stupid things when i was young.

because i have been away from the sport for a couple years i feel that i still want to push it a little. example.:) went out riding a couple weeks ago with some guys that i use to ride with all the time. As we set our destination i was planning on playing in the trees, doing some jumps off of nice drifts just horsing around a bit as we headed to our destination. WRONG:nono: The guys that i was riding with had turned into trail junkies:eek:
Oh my God .:confused: these guys use to rip and do the same things that i still loved doing. as we continued the ride i started to understand why they now ride this way. They to have matured, have familys and moved on and also want to wake up the next morning without the bottle of advil tied to there arm.
As this year have continued i have found myself still playing hard But not taking as many chances and also enjoying the view and nature.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:)Well since nobody from SASK has responded to this i will take a stab at this:)

As for myself being 40 years old i can say that my heart and mind still wants to play like a 30 year old but MAN the body feels like 60 and then feels like 80 when im done playing:eek:. I too wish that if i new my body was going to hurt this much at this age i would have not done alot of stupid things when i was young.

They to have matured, have familys and moved on and also want to wake up the next morning without the bottle of advil tied to there arm.

As this year have continued i have found myself still playing hard But not taking as many chances and also enjoying the view and nature.

Well put... thats exactally how I feel....80. And your definatly right with taking better care of yourself when we were younger. The things I did when I was younger.. wow.. I just shake my head now.
Im not say being 40 is bad, but the ol' muscles and bones let you know when your not acting your age. :eek:

Glasser

Reaction score
So far I can't see many 'old guys' commenting on here. I'm 68 and still ride the mountains when I can. I am lucky enough to get out 2 or 3 times a year. Yes I have changed my riding style. I started off with an old Olympic 399 on the hills around Turner Valley. Then on to a Citation 4500 and took that to the mountains. Didn't get very high, but sure had a lot of fun. Now a few sleds later I have no desire to go as high as the sled will take me. I am content to play in the rolling hills, open spaces among the trees and get stuck. I call it fun but I know I will come home at the end of the day. My family and grandkids are so important to me I wouldn't want to jeopordize having fun with them. Slowing down and smelling the roses is a good thing. I'm glad to see many are taking it easier and are watching the snow conditions. Keep up the good work and come home safe!!!!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I would have know I was gonna live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

No you wouldn't! :):) You would have had just as much fun then, and hurt just as bad now!

Growing old is mandatory....growing up is optional! :d

Yes, at 53 I've changed my riding too...except when the kid shows up with his turbo! Then I get stupid all over again for about 5 minutes! What a rush!

spitfire

Reaction score
I find it rather funny reading a lot of different threads, that a lot of people spend so much time debating over different brands, power, weight and image. It seems that when you get a little older,things like reliability, peace and quiet, riding safe, spending time with friends and love one becomes much more important. Just a thought.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, you eventually slow down. Balls to the wall is not important to me anymore. Got tired of diggin' stuck sleds out plus dodging avalanches and am happy cruising the back country on my tracked quad at 20 mph. However I had to hit 68 yrs to control the "rush".

Attachments

• P1310014.jpg
    P1310014.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 25

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've moved things up a notch! I got ahold of a couple older Polaris 500's. The family and I have a lot of fun on them. Lots of tearing around the fields here. Then got ahold of a newer Mountain Cat 900. Now it's off to the big hills! Wish I'd started doing this a long time ago. Gotta get the balls to drop again!!!

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The older I get the faster I was.43 and holding,Brain like a 25 year old,back like an 80 year old.Pass the advil:d:d:d

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm directing this more at the middle aged riders out there. As you've gotten a bit older, (pretty subtle huh), have you toned down your riding style? I'm 46 and turning into a Pu$$y! It's frightening...... Meadows and rolling sparsely treed acres of powder is where I spend most of my day now. I could care less if I ever try another climb in my life. Anyone else out there suffering from this mid-life crisis lack of nerve? :(

I am 49 and I would say that my style has changed a little as yes it hurts more.The biggest change for me has been from going to the 09 D800 from my old 02 doo.I still like to take a poke at the hills every know and then[got stuck on one this sat dohhhh!]I mostly just ride the greystokes as its hard to get in alot of trouble up thereI mostly boondock thru the trees and meadows and can spend hours doing donuts with the sled right over,gives me a thrill everytime.I love to pick my way thru the burn and pop out wherever.As I write this reply my body is sore from yesterday but its a good hurt.BTW last march I tore up my Knee while sledding so now I ride with a knee brace and am taking it easier this year.I wish they had sleds like this when I was 20
PM me if you want to get out at the greystokes as I usually only go on Sat as I need sunday to recoop

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard an older guy say once " My head says go! But my body says NO!"

Top Bottom