Has Your Riding Style Changed?

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm directing this more at the middle aged riders out there. As you've gotten a bit older, (pretty subtle huh), have you toned down your riding style? I'm 46 and turning into a Pu$$y! It's frightening...... Meadows and rolling sparsely treed acres of powder is where I spend most of my day now. I could care less if I ever try another climb in my life. Anyone else out there suffering from this mid-life crisis lack of nerve? :(

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. I don't need extra trouble in my life. I find my day is better when we all get back with out issues. I don't need to go looking for excitement. Rolling sleds is expensive. Get stuck on a hill you know you shouldn't have been going up takes too much time and energy, I would rather just enjoy time. I don't mind getting stuck in meadows, I guess cause it's easy to get help and if you don't get stuck some times your not having fun.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'd have to admit I've slowed down a bit. I pick my lines more carefully then I used to, surveying potential avy spots, etc. No more cornice jumping, either - hurts too much the next day lol. One has to remember that the newer iron will take you places that was unobtainable ten years ago on a stock sled, and some of these places you have no business being there, hence the increase in avy victems in the last few years. Better to be able to ride another day.

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think as a guy gets older and has a family he realizes it's more important to come home safe and be able to go to work the next day than be the one bragging about having the top mark on the hill. At least that's the way I feel anyways.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'd have to admit I've slowed down a bit. I pick my lines more carefully then I used to, surveying potential avy spots, etc. No more cornice jumping, either - hurts too much the next day lol. One has to remember that the newer iron will take you places that was unobtainable ten years ago on a stock sled, and some of these places you have no business being there, hence the increase in avy victems in the last few years. Better to be able to ride another day.

Very good points. The sleds I owned a few years back were no where close to the sleds I own now. Too easy to get into trouble. Also more expensive to fix than my old Yamaha 340 Enticer:beer:

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think my riding "style" has changed much. I'm still a gorilla on the throttle but where I ride has changed-less danger zone riding-thats for sure.I am only 55 years young though and I figure if I dont grow up,I'll never be Old!!!

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not old at all but I have changed my style since I was 16. I used to jump 60 feet, I don't do that anymore. I still climb quite a few hills, but I have found as I get older, I am not as thrilled hill climbing. I get bored after a few climbs. Now, I am not afraid at all, I just would rather tour around, and see a lot more area.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I dont think my riding "style" has changed much. I'm still a gorilla on the throttle but where I ride has changed-less danger zone riding-thats for sure.I am only 55 years young though and I figure if I dont grow up,I'll never be Old!!!

This started off directed at the "middle aged riders" and HotShotHarry is right in the middle of BC Snow-ghost and myself. I figure that same sort of thing....I'll never be old!

But reality is real! I like the bush, period! Yes, I get stuck a little more but it is a way more comfortable being stuck in the trees than on a wide open slope all by one's self. Without all the pee and vinegar I used to have, the stucks are just longer shovelling periods; take the time to clear everything, smell the pines, doo a little logging, etc. then hit the throttle and the XP pops right out! My kids, who are in their 30's, say "Dad, you ride like you are still in the north with all these secret trails through the trees!"

I have slowed down and I'm smelling the coffee or the roses. Mostly, it is my Muff-Pot that I like to smell and just getting out into the bush for the peace and quiet.

I am a pussy (and I'm not afraid to admit it either) when it comes to the big slopes, cornices, and the 8000' ledges and saddles. But as we reach "middle age", they're only subtle changes, right?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up. I do however find that I am using the gray matter a little more now that I have some.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mostly, it is my Muff-Pot that I like to smell and just getting out into the bush for the peace and quiet.

You'll never get old thinking that way my friend. I just love the name of that thing, "Muff Pot", lmao.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm a young guy trapped in an old man's body. takes a few days to get over the pain, still like the steep and deep, trees are ok, but not what i'm looking for most times.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the old saying? You don't stop doing stuff because you get old, you get old because you stop doing stuff! :beer:

spitfire

Reaction score
58 years young and started riding again five years ago. I agree totally with all the comments. Fernie snow has the right perspective for guys our age. To spend a day out in the snow, find some peace and quiet is priceless. The riding component becomes the bonus. Still try to ride like I was twenty, but man it hurts like hell the next day. I too will never be old but see sledding from a different perspective. One heart attack can do that for you. Stop and enjoy, what nature has to offer and keep riding till you can't.

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the old saying? You don't stop doing stuff because you get old, you get old because you stop doing stuff! :beer:
I only had the chance to do a little riding over my lifetime but last year my bud brought me an old 70 citation 4500 that had sat for 10 yrs. I rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump and springs and had it running quite well but when I took his 97 Summit for a spin it was like night and day. So I picked up an 04 RMK 600 and really like it for riding Cataract and Etherington. I don't take too many chances (but I did have it up to 90mph on Long Lake last year) because I've managed to live to the ripe age of 61 despite all the stupid things I've done and now would like to live to enjoy a few years of sledding. FWIW JMHO.

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
started mtn ridin 5 yrs ago gave up smokin 4 yrs ago my body luvs the work out and yes i ride like a teenager sometimes...and i pay for it.....but it keeps me young and feelin great!!!!!cheers to all the middle age riders:beer::beer:( im 48)
and i luv to ride anywhere there is deep powder meadows or hills....so ridin style does vary....

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can honestly say YES, I have changed the way I ride. Im not as wild and crazy now. As you get older, it take alot longer to heal, LOL. Last year, after 2 bad wipe outs, I changed. This year, even more so. I would rather take it a bit slower and enjoy the scenery, then to have it whipping by at mach 4. :d

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I would have know I was gonna live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can honestly say YES, I have changed the way I ride. Im not as wild and crazy now. As you get older, it take alot longer to heal, LOL. Last year, after 2 bad wipe outs, I changed. This year, even more so. I would rather take it a bit slower and enjoy the scenery, then to have it whipping by at mach 4. :d

That's pretty much my exact sentiments too Mare. Especially the part about "healing slower". Some days I feel better than others and do push a bit harder but Ibuprofen stock takes a beating the next day. Love scenery and photography more than ever now.:beer:

Top Bottom