Harvey Creek via Castle Mtn Staging Area ??

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at the sled show tonight and bought a Fernie ride map and spoke with the Fernie 'guy' who metioned an area called 'Harvey Creek' accessed a little southeast of Fernie. When i look on the Fernie map it looks like it can be accessed easily from Castle via the 'Middle Kootenay Pass'

Can anyone confirm this? As well as comment on the riding at Harvey Creek? The guy said there are a TON of awesome bowls in Harvey.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at the sled show tonight and bought a Fernie ride map and spoke with the Fernie 'guy' who metioned an area called 'Harvey Creek' accessed a little southeast of Fernie. When i look on the Fernie map it looks like it can be accessed easily from Castle via the 'Middle Kootenay Pass'

Can anyone confirm this? As well as comment on the riding at Harvey Creek? The guy said there are a TON of awesome bowls in Harvey.[/quote

Yes it is very possible...do it all the time.

Harvey i snow covers the logs any where in the FlatHead......

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Snot.

I had a look at it on google earth and it looks like a $hit load of awesome bowls and riding!!! (maybe 6 or 7 large open bowls) However it looks like there is no way in to half those bowls as the tree's look to tight.....
Do you know the bowls im talking about? Can you access them all or are the tree's too tight to get to half of them?

Do you stage from Castle?

Are there many people that head to Harvey?

Thanks

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Snot.

I had a look at it on google earth and it looks like a $hit load of awesome bowls and riding!!! (maybe 6 or 7 large open bowls) However it looks like there is no way in to half those bowls as the tree's look to tight.....
Do you know the bowls im talking about? Can you access them all or are the tree's too tight to get to half of them?

Thanks[/quote monstersall the way are really tight..couple of steep and snow is soft on shady and protected slopes so side hilli

InnOnTheBorder

Lodge in Crowsnest
Reaction score
Website
www.innontheborder.com
Cool! We closed the resturant this year for good.. Open to guests only. Will have more time for the fun stuff. I will have to look you guys up this winter, show me around a little to if you will. I have been down at the passes lots, but never crossed over into castle. Is there much over on the alberta side?
curtis

InnOnTheBorder

Lodge in Crowsnest
Reaction score
Website
www.innontheborder.com
Would you guys be interested in becoming Corbin country club members? We have the go ahead to marshal the staging area after it has been groomed.. Two years ago it may have been groomed 4 times. Last year we raised enough to knock the mogals down 10 plus times.. We bought a 3- point packer bar for quick runs with the bombi down to Barnes/ Elliot turn off.. Thats the worst part of the trail. I feel we are making a difference.
We also need to build a new sled bridge into Barnes and elliot.. the old one is broke. I'm not much for the barnes area, to many people go there, but we need to keep these sled trails open.
Give me a call if you have any ideas on how to collect for the passes ie - paying someone to marshal staging area. Do you think we will be sucsesfull?
Corbin Country club # 403 362 6401

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Snot.

Thanks

You have to cross the fording river to get into Harvy/Kisipoo (if it's the spot I call Harvey anyways). I've done it once on my 96 Phazer. First and only time I've had it on plane across water! I usually stage from Corbin.

Inn On The Border - I appreciate the grooming out of Corbin! I've paid up whenever there has been someone in the parking lot collecting. I ride all over so am not a member anywhere (other than with the Calgary Club); doesn't make sense $ wise - I just pay the trail pass. I think I have my riding buddy convince to ride more out of Corbin. What kind of annual pass $$ are you thinking?

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there is nobody around the parking lot, come across the road to the houses. See if anyone is around. Any donation would be apreciated as it costs a lot of money to groom the trail. The more money we raise, the more times the trail will be groomed. The first year we wid not raise a lot of money so the trail was not groomed many times and some people were upset, but last year it was groomed a lot more. If you want to support or join the Corbin Country Club, call George or Betty at 403-362-4676. The club does not only groom the trail, but has rescued many lost and hurt people. You never know when you might be one of those people. I am a member of the club and have helped many people.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Snot,

If coming from Lethbridge (where i will be driving from as the folks still live there) looks like the easiest and quickest place for me to stage would be at Castle Mountain Ski Hill; cross into BC using middle Koot Passand follow the trail. Using google earth i can clearly see the trail going this route, it doesnt look tight though using google earth? Crossing the flathead is the only place where i cant really see a defined trail.

Is that usually a day ride for you snot? Go to Harvey and come back? Is there play areas along the route i mentioned above? Looks like it would be a 30km ride to get to Harvey and the monster bowls.

Are the trails pretty beat up like i hear pipeline usually is?

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would you guys be interested in becoming Corbin country club members? We have the go ahead to marshal the staging area after it has been groomed.. Two years ago it may have been groomed 4 times. Last year we raised enough to knock the mogals down 10 plus times.. We bought a 3- point packer bar for quick runs with the bombi down to Barnes/ Elliot turn off.. Thats the worst part of the trail. I feel we are making a difference.
We also need to build a new sled bridge into Barnes and elliot.. the old one is broke. I'm not much for the barnes area, to many people go there, but we need to keep these sled trails open.
Give me a call if you have any ideas on how to collect for the passes ie - paying someone to marshal staging area. Do you think we will be sucsesfull?
Corbin Country club # 403 362 6401

The Corbin Flathead is probably responsible for more chit eating grins on my face, than any place last year.
I would be very interested in becoming a member.
A few members here are planning a ride down there this winter

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Snot,

If coming from Lethbridge (where i will be driving from as the folks still live there) looks like the easiest and quickest place for me to stage would be at Castle Mountain Ski Hill; cross into BC using middle Koot Passand follow the trail. Using google earth i can clearly see the trail going this route, it doesnt look tight though using google earth? Crossing the flathead is the only place where i cant really see a defined trail.

Is that usually a day ride for you snot? Go to Harvey and come back? Is there play areas along the route i mentioned above? Looks like it would be a 30km ride to get to Harvey and the monster bowls.

Are the trails pretty beat up like i hear pipeline usually is?

Yes CMR is your best stagin
Trail is not tight
....shallow in winter and many times ice and snow covered.
We play and stop to fire up l..longer days.
If in a day easy......but you have to skip alot of the great play areas if you do.We have our favorite areas that we run hard to.
There is no trail per say like the pipeline....no groome.......saw 4 sets of tracks last year that we didn't cut.
If your goal is j stag at the Mine on it's much faster.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never thought about stageing at Corbin (mine site) and ripping down there. Thanks for the tip! I have the Fernie sled map and see that road your talking about that takes you to Harvey from Corbin. Is it groomed at all? If your ripping on this trail without stopping to play how long does it take to get to Harvey?
Is there good play areas along the way to Harvey via the Corbin stage area?

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never thought about stageing at Corbin (mine site) and ripping down there. Thanks for the tip! I have the Fernie sled map and see that road your talking about that takes you to Harvey from Corbin. Is it groomed at all? If your ripping on this trail without stopping to play how long does it take to get to Harvey?

The Flathead is not minimal...no moguls.
Dependinrip from Corbin
Lots of great pla in steep treed areas.
Carefull big time
Pack fuel....and don

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh how i love to hear talk of the flathead/harvey areas :D I was just thinking snotty maybe your group are some of those crazy locals we were watching climb one day??? LOL I took video of one guy.. lost it, sled came crashing down trashed.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh how i love to hear talk of the flathead/harvey areas :D I was just thinking snotty maybe your group are some of those crazy locals we were watching climb one day??? LOL I took video of one guy.. lost it, sled came crashing down trashed.

Could very well of been us TEAM LOFT. we crash alot.:d:d Usually group of 5.

InnOnTheBorder

Lodge in Crowsnest
Reaction score
Website
www.innontheborder.com
We r still unsure of an annual. of course u can purchase the BCSF membership. Contact A&E Racing @ 403 362 6401. I collect for the club @ the Inn, as well as at the staging area.. I understand the flathead get pretty bad "FAST". We will only collect after a groom. The norm was a $10 donation for that groom.
Had snow a couple times, but staying pretty warn down here, ATV groups still booking in.
It's time for the white stuff!
THX
Curtis

InnOnTheBorder

Lodge in Crowsnest
Reaction score
Website
www.innontheborder.com
:cool::cool:

Man, U GOTTA COME DOWN FOR A RIDE!!! LOTS OF GOOD STUFF!
But to make it to Harvey, U better plan on just gettin to Harvey. and still pack gas!!:cool:

chris79

Reaction score
9 acessable bowls, 5 are monsters....many smaller bowls all the way to Frozen Lake.Afew trails are really tight..couple of steep and long side hills...but the snow is soft on shady and protected slopes so side hilling is easy.
Stage from Lynx Creek...or...Corbin...or North Castle

Hey guys

Does anyone have gps coordinates for the big bowls at harvey that would be awsome and super helpful are the bowls hard to find we ride the pass and fernie a ton but never went back to harvey heard good things about it thanks

Chris

Top Bottom