Handheld / Personal GPS

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can recommend a handheld / personal GPS. Something we could bring sledding with us, and mark a few points. Mark a starting point and then follow it back after going down trails for hours.... or something along those lines.

I've seen a wide variety of them on Amazon.ca, ranging in price from $50 to $900. I don't need anything fancy, or particularly fast. Does anyone use such a device for trail riding or sledding in general?

What brands might be good, and if you have any suggestions, provide a link as well if you can.

Thanks.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have used a few, I would recommend a garmin, one you can download maps too. other brands are not as consumer friendly, less support and accessories. check gps central or gps city for best info on models and mapping.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 650 I would also recommend, the rhino 530 hcx is also a good equivalent, if you can find a gently used one, has same power, battery life etc, just more push button. heck even a rino 120-130 will work well.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garmin 655 US model like Mikey says, 3 watts of power.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard if you update the US model it drops the power after update? Is this true?

Reaction score

Thanks for the link. That seems to be a popular one, but probably out of my price range. I was hoping to do something more along the lines of:
Bushnell Bear Grylls Edition Back Track Original G2 GPS Personal Locator and Digital Compass, Orange/Black: Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

....and that way I could get them for stocking stuffers. I'll keep looking.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Montana 650.
Great unit, I also have a powered cradle on my sled tied into the battery. Unit stays on until I shut it down.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. That seems to be a popular one, but probably out of my price range. I was hoping to do something more along the lines of:
Bushnell Bear Grylls Edition Back Track Original G2 GPS Personal Locator and Digital Compass, Orange/Black: Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

....and that way I could get them for stocking stuffers. I'll keep looking.

u can check e-bay for used rhino radios, or maybe those beufang radios with the frs channels, one channel could be used for communication, dirt cheap and have the channel for forestry roads also. you could then get lesser expensive gps also, but they just won't work the same as rhino's will, good luck n your search

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of ..offline ..apps for cell phones, clarity beyond any dedicated gps. Compass apps as well.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
650 rino from the U.S, is actually 5w. The U.S 655 model has a camera I believe.
I would personally just stay with the canadian 2w model, I have two 5w, and two 2w. One of the 5w won't even work properly unless I keep it on the 2w mode. Great units though, especially when you want to find you group.
Garmin 655 US model like Mikey says, 3 watts of power.

Reaction score
how many are you looking for? for family members? or buddy?

4... but not at $500 a pop..... honestly you guys have far greater needs than I do, if you're willing to spend $500 on it. I need one feature. The ability to set a "starting point" or checkpoint, and the ability for it to point me back to that point......

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
650 rino from the U.S, is actually 5w. The U.S 655 model has a camera I believe.
I would personally just stay with the canadian 2w model, I have two 5w, and two 2w. One of the 5w won't even work properly unless I keep it on the 2w mode. Great units though, especially when you want to find you group.
My bad, sorry.
I haven't had any issues with my 5 watt units so far.

Reaction score
I found a similar $100-ish one the other night, which of course I cannot find again. It was much the same as the BG one I linked, with the added bonus that it had a small screen and actually plotted a path using dotted lines, of where you went. So you could easily follow that path back to the starting point.

The arrow pointing you in the direction back to the marked point is good enough for me, but may not provide the shortest route (which is okay with me).

I'm sure it was a different Bushnell model.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You still want a good quality gps though. I had a cheap one probably 10 years ago, and if a cloud went over my head I would lose satellite. Same if I was driving in the trees, reception gone. Very fustrating.

Top Bottom