Hand held 2-way radio kills my 800 etec??

jaysrippen

Reaction score
Hey guys, went ride on my 2012 Freeride, it has 1700kms on it, with in 2-3kms from truck it threw a Check engine code (wouldnt clear stop/starting). Seemed to be running ok, countiuned riding.
Everytime I would key/transmit using my handheld (battery powered) Garmin Rhino 2-way radio engine would drop to what sounded like 1 cly or even completely die? Even after realasing radio would run on 1 cly until shut off/start.

Local Dealer Stojans said nothing they can do about it. They did just work on unit (taillight/heated riser bag/water temp module install/ecm update/reeds inspection) .
Ive used same radio on same channel for years, didnt affect friends 2013 etec? Waiting to find out what code.
Any idea's? thanks

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's weird man, you try and test to see how far away you have to be before it stops doing it? never heard of such a thing, but with all the electronics on these things nowadays it really doesn't surprise me

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with the Garmin, but some GMRS radios these days are transmitting at up to 5 watts. That'll mess with electronics for sure if they're not sufficiently shielded. We have some rooms at work with so much critical electronics in them we're not even allowed to carry a radio in there, much less transmit!

jaysrippen

Reaction score
Thanks guys, now that Im out of the mountains, I will test to see how far away it kills motor. Yes it is 5watts. I guess I need to find out if its just my sled or other etecs aswell. Maybe ill get some answers once they read that engine code.

zed899

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You said they had done some electrical work on it recently, maybe they didn't shield something properly. Ive used a cheapo 2 way around a 2012 etec before with zero problems.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want video proof of this. I am not saying it is completely impossible, but I want to see it.

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use high powered 2 way motorolas. Also have 2 garmin rhinos. All have been used around 2011 to 2013 doos and never affected them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 5watt rhino never had a problem. I do keep it on the sled not on my person just for the beacon interference it may cause.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing to do with sleds but if i use my road radio on ladd 2 every time I key the mike my H&S tuner jumps up 1 power level in my dodge 3500

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing to do with sleds but if i use my road radio on ladd 2 every time I key the mike my H&S tuner jumps up 1 power level in my dodge 3500

I had a similar issue with my '07 Dodge with a Mini Maxx. Every time I keyed the mic, the MM display went wonky and started beeping.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

Top Bottom